180 build

so i got this 180 gallon non drilled..getting it up and ready. my question is this im looking at getting a overflow box rated at 3000gph and a mag 18 for return...this should be plenty of flow ...correct? or to much?

E

eric b 125

If you are hell bent on having overflows that can handle 3000 gph, I would get two of their 1500 gph boxes and put one in each corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/390406/180-build#post_3457341
If you are hell bent on having overflows that can handle 3000 gph, I would get two of their 1500 gph boxes and put one in each corner.
thats was my dilemma..they only sell 1500 then jumps to 3000gph..1500 to small but i want pump 3000gph only around 1500 to 1800gph

btldreef

I'd do two 1500's rather than one 3000. Having overflows on opposite sides of the tank, as well as a split return coming out of each overflow just allows for better circulation. At least that's been my experience in my 180 vs my 155 that only had one overflow/one return.

E

eric b 125

Perhaps, if you are good at DIY, check out a BeanAnimal overflow... I know BeanAnimal and I've seen these overflows in person and I wish I could go back from my glass holes kits to his design. Tough to do with a full tank, though!

acrylic51

Agree.....Dual overflows would be better, but agree on the recommendation to look into the BeanAnimal overflow design....Will outflow others and is very tune able to any system.....A centered overflow is more efficient than corner overflows as well......

acrylic51

I key thing we missed or I missed is what size is your sump.........Before you start thinking about the flow you want to push through the overflow box etc.....You need to figure out what your sump can handle.....

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/390406/180-build#post_3457636
A BeanAnimal overflow would be so boss on a 180.
Agree 100%.....I currently run the design, and I've run all the others in the past, and by far the easiest to tune, set and forget even after power loss or shut down.....This thing will handle whatever flow you throw at it as long as your bulkhead/plumbing work is correct......Plus minimal invasion inside the tank as far as overflow boxes.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingcoastal
http:///t/390406/180-build#post_3457666
i got a 40 gallon breeder and a 25 g tall to use to put my skimmer in
A key thing when starting to lay out your sump idea/plan is based around your skimmer choice....Through some conversation I do remember you stating the skimmer, but key is finding out what water level the manufacturer recommends for the skimmer to run at it's optimum......You want the most for your money and efficiency......
Goingcoastal I know I've thrown a lot at you here today.....Take your time, and read through some of the recommendations....I would whole heartedly recommend the BeanAnimal overflow hands down and wouldn't look at any other....The other options are hand in hand.....I would also recommend the center or I guess I could call it an internal coast to coast (C2C) overflow design for your 180.....It's gives you more skimming capacity (surface) than corner mounted overflow boxes. Corner mounted boxes being the tank will probably have to be drilled through the back panel eats up room and is limiting IMHO....That is why I suggest the C2C.
You had mentioned wanting the ability to handle 3000gph.....That my friend is music to my ears....Love huge flow, but must be managed wisely due to sump constraints, and there are ways around that as well. Most will tell you a sump should only be 3x-5x turnover rate of your system. That is not totally true. There are sump designs; designed to handle high flow situations depending what your overall intentions are with your system, but most of the times aren't needed, but can be done.
I'm curious you stated you order your hole kit from Glass Holes.....What size hole saw bit did you get.....With the BeanAnimal I would suggest running either 1 1/4" bulkheads or if you want max 1 1/2" bulkheads.....I'm also curious if you have access to a dremel or Rotozip tool.......

this is my skimmer..
Reef Octopus NWB 200 Specifications:
- For In-Sump use only
- Recommended for tanks up to 260 gallons.
Dimmensions:
- Overall Height: 22.5"
- Cup Removal Clearance: approx. 1"
- Reactor Diameter: 8"
- Footprint: 15” x 8.5" x 22.5"
- Octopus OTP-3000 Pin Wheel Pump included (approx. 790 gph)

snakeblitz33

very cool ya'll. I'm glad you got a bigger tank. I'm starting to have tank envy of everyone that is upgrading their tanks. :( Start adding some pics to the thread man! Diagrams of your overall system would be helpful too.

hey buddy good to hear you chime in ! hope all has been well
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390406/180-build#post_3458068
very cool ya'll. I'm glad you got a bigger tank. I'm starting to have tank envy of everyone that is upgrading their tanks. :( Start adding some pics to the thread man! Diagrams of your overall system would be helpful too.

snakeblitz33

lol, everything is going fine. lol I'm glad Acrylic is joining in this thread as well!
So what exactly are you going to try to keep?