180 gal. Pentagon!

badkharma

My wife "approved" my future purchase of a 180 gallon Pentagon corner tank, provided I get rid of the other tanks in the house (75 gal, 60 gal, 12 gal nano). It's a done deal! Besides an in-wall tank, a HUGE pentagon tank is one of my dreams. It measures 48" x 48" and is 30" high (acrylic). I do have a question though. Would one 6"x 6" 2 sided overflow box allow enough water/hour to pass thru the filtration system? I plan on having a semi-Berlin style, with microfiber, carbon, skimming, etc all under the tank. Keep in mind I won't have this whole setup done probably until the fall/late fall, so I can't even provide pics. I'll keep you updated when I receive the tank though, should be in a few months at the latest. I'll probably be selling back all my livestock (not much right now), but keeping all my live rock, since LR is such a large expense. I'll keep all my tanks up and running until the other one is obviously ready to go, so I don't have any die-off. Maybe I can even siphon all my tanks water over to it so I won't have to cycle... :thinking: even though I'd still have to add another 30 gallons or so of new water. I plan on having it a FOWLR setup with basic invertebrates - pretty much what I have now. I'm a happy camper. I'll stop blabbing now. :D

badkharma

Dang it! For the same price, I can get a 240 gal. (96x24x24). Wow, decisions. That one would have to go into my office, wife wouldn't let something that monstrous out in the house - plus there's no where else to put it. :) :thinking: :thinking: :happy:

oscardeuce

I am up grading my 90 fowlr to a 210 reef let me know. I heard turn over should be 10-15 times an hour. I am building it nto a library shelf inthe basement. Let me know how yours goes.

badkharma

Awesome! :)
Another noob question: Is a 60" long, (2) 140W VHO actinic and (2) 175w MH 10000K lighting system sufficient for a 72" long 180 gal tank (72x24x24)? I'm not planning on keeping corals or anything, it's mainly going to be a FOWLR and basic inverts. That system would put me at around 3.5 watts/gallon, which is enough for me, but I'm wondering if a system that is only 60" long for a 72" tank will cover the ends. How did all of you with tanks 72" or longer set up your lighting? The longest setup I have seen is 60"!