180 gallon build for 2012

red tiger

I have aquiared a 180g from my lfs that is remodeling is store, it has two overflows already. I want to do this build with lots of patience and with all the bells n' whistles.
I read a few 180 builds on here but seem out of date.
I was talking to my lfs guy, i originaly wanted to do the ecotech radion lights, but he said from tanks he has seen, he hasn't noticed good coral growth. However he's running the Kessil lights and they do seem a good alternative to Radion. I mean the radion are fun but expensive. Halides seem to be on their way out, and in California where temps in summer reach 100 degrees! LED are my route on light!
On power heads i was leaning towards mp10 vs hydor but would like how people experienced tunze power heads!
I planning to have it all set up by X Mas, so no hurry! Want to get that right equipment without sacrificing on cheaper equipment that i gotta replace or tune n tune n tune!!!!

bubblegurl

Hi, 2012 seems to be the year of the 180 gl builds. Congrats on the new tank! I set mine up and had it salty in feb, transferred my other tank in late march.
I tried an mp10 on mine but the glass is too thick and it wouldn't stay on, I've got 2 mp40s and looking to add another. I've also got 3 radions, and my corals are definitely growing (I've got other issues which is affecting them but not equipment related). I have no complaints but do suggest you research LEDs as there are def less expensive options including DIY set ups! I did have my power heads and lights synced but with algae issues, I wanted more flow so the phs no longer go into night mode. Not sure about tunze ph.
I would suggest an ro or ro/di unit, auto top off as must haves, I'm constantly filling water containers for top offs and water changes (2 tanks running). I've got a reef octopus 5000sss int skimmer, a little much but I want lots of fish. Other equipment, 2 heaters, doser, brs dual reactor, and apex controller (just got it but not set up).
Looking forward to seeing this come together! I thought it would take me forever to get mine going, happened a lot faster than I thought.

red tiger

Quote:Hi, 2012 seems to be the year of the 180 gl builds. Congrats on the new tank! I set mine up and had it salty in feb, transferred my other tank in late march.I tried an mp10 on mine but the glass is too thick and it wouldn't stay on, I've got 2 mp40s and looking to add another. I've also got 3 radions, and my corals are definitely growing (I've got other issues which is affecting them but not equipment related). I have no complaints but do suggest you research LEDs as there are def less expensive options including DIY set ups! I did have my power heads and lights synced but with algae issues, I wanted more flow so the phs no longer go into night mode. Not sure about tunze ph.
I would suggest an ro or ro/di unit, auto top off as must haves, I'm constantly filling water containers for top offs and water changes (2 tanks running). I've got a reef octopus 5000sss int skimmer, a little much but I want lots of fish. Other equipment, 2 heaters, doser, brs dual reactor, and apex controller (just got it but not set up).
Looking forward to seeing this come together! I thought it would take me forever to get mine going, happened a lot faster than I thought.
mp40 are a sure thing in this build, just adds esthetics to the aquarium.
I can't make up my mind between the Kessil A350W wide angle or the radion xr30
I already have a Nextreef MR1 Phos Reactor, I will use a 40g breeder as a sump.
I need a skimmer, I will be going 90% coral 10%. I'm looking for a skimmer with very little tuning.
RO/DI unit is on order and getting 2 55 gallon barrels to store ro/di water and mixed saltwater.
I will be using a Laguna Max Flo pump for my sump to tank

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489232
mp40 are a sure thing in this build, just adds esthetics to the aquarium. Yup!!!
I can't make up my mind between the Kessil A350W wide angle or the radion xr30. Why not wait until you have it fully set up before you make a choice on lights. With the extra time you wait LED's may come down in price or new models may come out. If it were me, I would wait til the last minute before I bought LED's. Shoot maybe even wait until it cycles.
I already have a Nextreef MR1 Phos Reactor, I will use a 40g breeder as a sump. I would maybe go with a larger sump IF you can fit it. 40g is 18" wide... So is a 55g, I would do a 55 if you can or bigger.
I need a skimmer, I will be going 90% coral 10%. I'm looking for a skimmer with very little tuning. Not sure what this means... Do you mean 90% coral and 10% fish?? So you don't need a monster skimmer? Just one that requires little tuning?? Reef Octopus skimmers are nice and are boarder line monsters, Mine does not require that much tuning (once you find the sweet spot that is). They are very good for the $$, sure there are more expensive, better ones, but for the money go Reef Octopus.
RO/DI unit is on order and getting 2 55 gallon barrels to store ro/di water and mixed saltwater. Word!!
I will be using a Laguna Max Flo pump for my sump to tank What size? Is this internal or external?
Congrats on the 180g!! Did it come with a stand and hood?
This should be a fun build to follow, so I am in!! Post up some pics!!

red tiger

I can wait for the LED's no problem! I was stating that Kessils have caught my eye and for the price i was getting for them wasn't so bad. But i'll take the advice!
The only issue i see with the 55 is that is a bit tall to work inside the stand, i do have a spare 55 that i'll try and see how it works out!
I am thinking of going with the new models Laguna 2400gph while keeping electric bill down.
And finally i was thinking of having about 3-4 fish and more coral!!!! So the smaller skimmer would work!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489245
I can wait for the LED's no problem! I was stating that Kessils have caught my eye and for the price i was getting for them wasn't so bad. But i'll take the advice!
The only issue i see with the 55 is that is a bit tall to work inside the stand, i do have a spare 55 that i'll try and see how it works out!
I am thinking of going with the new models Laguna 2400gph while keeping electric bill down.
And finally i was thinking of having about 3-4 fish and more coral!!!! So the smaller skimmer would work!
Cool. I have never seen the Kessils in person, but there was a thread on here earlier this year and a guy had them and seemed to really like them. Shoot, maybe the price goes down in the next 6 months. That would rock!!
I am glad you have an extra 55 sitting around to try. The height can be an issue.. Pull some specs on the skimmers you like so far and see what kind of clearance you need to remove the collection cup. That was an issue for me with the first sump I had... I ended up having to scrap the sump and make a fish room.
3-4 fish and a ton of coral is gonna look great!! What kind of fish are you thinking??

red tiger

Kessil do look bad ass! I'm getting a price break because i buy all my equipment from him, I get my Tank this Friday (8/24) So the lights will be last,
I would like a purple tang or a white cheek tang,
A red mandarin as my copepods develop,
and maybe two dwarf angel fish

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489268
Kessil do look bad ass! I'm getting a price break because i buy all my equipment from him, I get my Tank this Friday (8/24) So the lights will be last,
I would like a purple tang or a white cheek tang,
A red mandarin as my copepods develop,
and maybe two dwarf angel fish

If you are only going to have 3 or 4 fish those are some pretty sweet ones!!! Check out the powder Brown Tang instead of the White Cheek Tang. I have read that they do much better in home aquariums then the White Cheek. Just a thought.

bubblegurl

Sounds like a sweet build! Love the fish stocking list!!
One of the issues I had with my skimmer was the base. It does not fit between my sump and stand. Instead of returning it for something else like I should have, we drained the sump, pushed to the end of the stand and dropped the skimmer in. Will be a PITA for maintenance, but otherwise it works great. I guess when I do thorough maintenance on the skimmer, it;ll be a great time to do a good sump clean as well....
The Reef Octopus itself is awesome. I never have to redial it in, even when shut down for water changes, starts no problem and pulls loads of gooey black gunk!
What are the dimensions of the 180?

red tiger

Powder Browns are awsome too, Reason i liked white cheek, their similar to an achilles but i believe that achilles belong in the ocean!
What model Reef Octopus do you have?
The 180 is a 72x24x24

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489290
Powder Browns are awsome too, Reason i liked white cheek, their similar to an achilles but i believe that achilles belong in the ocean!
The 180 is a 72x24x24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger
http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489290
The 180 is a 72x24x24
Check out this thread...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/392313/random-reefkeeping-volume-who-knows#post_3485257
My system is post 11 of 14... kinda a cool thread, shows lots of folks systems. I like seeing what everyone likes to run. I have the Reef Octopus diablo 160 for my 125g. Works very well.

red tiger

Nice thread,
I'm debating on building a new stand from scratch, building it higher, more like 40" high, to elevate the tank a bit.
I called my LFS, He's got a new Reef Octopus diablo 160 for about $220 or a used one for $120

red tiger

So i went and picked up the tank, so so heavy! but finally home!
I will start looking or possibly building my stand this week, and cleaning the tank

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489313
Nice thread,
I'm debating on building a new stand from scratch, building it higher, more like 40" high, to elevate the tank a bit.
I called my LFS, He's got a new Reef Octopus diablo 160 for about $220 or a used one for $120
The height was an issue with my stand. I had a lot of trouble getting the sump in and could barley get the skimmer in (service would have been a nightmare). I had to cut a hole in the wall into a large closet next to the tank for a fish room... Maybe I built the stand too low on purpose... IDK and neither does the wife.. And I plan to keep it that way. LOL. Either way I am way happier with a fish room, but I can tell you that just looking at the tank I wish it was about 4-6" higher.
You can always mock something up to see how you would like it at different heights... Maybe just use masking tape on the walls and make and outline of the tank and stand. HTH's
Good deal on the skimmer BTW. You might want to pull the trigger on that one.

red tiger

I'm gonna have my brother in-law have him build a functional stand, since he's a contractor building custom homes in Northern California, I'm sure he's got spare material around :D

bubblegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392733/180-gallon-build-for-2012#post_3489819
You can always mock something up to see how you would like it at different heights... Maybe just use masking tape on the walls and make and outline of the tank and stand. HTH's
Good deal on the skimmer BTW. You might want to pull the trigger on that one.
That's a great idea!!! I think my stand is tooooo tall. I have to stand on a chair to do anything in the tank and can barely reach the back to shut off valves. No, I'm not that short, but I do wish mine was a bit lower for viewing. My stand is steel and I had no say in the design of the tank or stand as both the tank and stand were a birthday present that I knew nothing about....so I don't complain about it, have gotten used to getting my clothes wet when working in the tank...lol
Nice looking tank!!!

red tiger

Ahha! I don't mind getting on a step stool! I welcome it! I want it high enough where it i don't got bend to view it, since it will be next to a pub area.
So my co-worker gave me a very ummm, tempting idea. The wall that it will be against, on the other side is my 3rd bedroom which i have no use and currently a storage room.
Drill holes and make my sump tank in that room and have everything for it there. Could even make a frag area to grow them and help with water changes and such! Very tempting!

bubblegurl

That's an awesome idea! I've seen a lot of setups like this, plumbed into another room or down to the basement. I say go for it. I tried talking my bf into this but down to our basement, would have made things soooooo much easier, especially water changes. He wouldn't go for it. :flame:

red tiger

That's an awesome idea! I've seen a lot of setups like this, plumbed into another room or down to the basement. I say go for it. I tried talking my bf into this but down to our basement, would have made things soooooo much easier, especially water changes. He wouldn't go for it. :flame:
Time for a new bf! Jk jk
I gotta look at this from all angles! But it does seem doable and easy to do