180 gallon Reef tanks

detane

I just set mine up but am working on a few things before I add the rock, sand, and live stock.
First thing I did was sand the stand. Removed the doors to update the hardware. Next I stained it, and added a nice coat of varnish on the inside and outside of the stand. I still have to paint the bottom panel black once the
varnish dries.
In the mean time I moved my smaller 75 gallon outside to take picture of it for craigslist, and I built a custom sump tank for my new tank.

detane

what type of lights do u recommend I use? I only plan on having zoos and shrooms in my tank along with some tangs

detane

Here is an update on the tank. I still want to know what type of lights I should get. Should I build a canopy and install an MH kit?

mightytexn

If you just want zoos and shrooms I think pretty much any light will work although I'm not positive with a tank that deep. You shouldn't need metal halides though.

detane

Originally Posted by Mindcage133
http:///forum/post/2983463
Here's my 180 from back when I first started it. I should probably update the pics of it.
what type of light is that? I was thinking of getting the Coralife Aqualight Elite Series 3x250 Watt MH, 72 inch.

mindcage133

Mine is the outer orbit 3x150 and 8 39watt t-5 Ilike it but so hard to figure out a canopy for it. I have the mounting cables but it isn't a great option for me.

pbnj

Originally Posted by Mindcage133
http:///forum/post/2984573
Mine is the outer orbit 3x150 and 8 39watt t-5 Ilike it but so hard to figure out a canopy for it. I have the mounting cables but it isn't a great option for me.
I took the top lid off my oak canopy (one piece), screwed in two pieces of wood at the ends and placed my Outer Orbit on them. The bottom of the fixture sits about 1/2" below the top of the canopy, so no light can be seen when looking at the tank. It's also about 8" off the water surface. The fixture takes up most of the opening, so it almost looks like a canopy cover (everything's black).

devil dog

Originally Posted by DETANE
http:///forum/post/2983515
what type of light is that? I was thinking of getting the Coralife Aqualight Elite Series 3x250 Watt MH, 72 inch.
I would go with the 250 mh... thats all you will need with a 24" deep tank... and that way if you want to move to sps you wont need to get a new light... good luck

DD

mindcage133

I kind of agree with going 3-250 watt but I can already tell I may have heat issues this summer and the energy consumption of the fixture now is considerably more than my 4 x 110 watt VHO over my 75 I had before this 180. There are times when I think I would like to place an SPS on the sand but not often enough for me to wish I had more heat and energy consumption. PLUS I bought the fixture for 600 after only being used 11 months. I don't know what the price difference is new and that may sway you one way or another. Then the power hungry man in the back of my mind wants to go all out and put 400 watt bulbs with the old VHO kit I had in one canopy over this one but my wife would kill me. I can just see her face now when the electric bill comes. I already hear enough about it.