180 Reef, pics

m0nk

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2542098
Sometimes I think the garlic treatment is the best for ich. In my main reef tank, once in a while I will see some white specks on a fish. I don't know if it's ich or not, I can't say for sure. But I give them garlic laced foods and the white specks go away and the fish seem happy, haven't had any die. Maybe my cleaner shrimp helps too as I see it cleaning fish all the time. Also, this is just my opinion but I don't think it's bad to expose fish to ich once in a while. Meaning a tank that has ich in it, the fish just fight it. It builds up their immune system. It's like if a human lives in a plastic bubble. As soon as he goes out, there's an excellent chance he'll chatch a flu or cold because the immune system is down. Same with fish. If I were in your place, I'd just feed frozen foods laced in fresh garlic for a while.
I was thinking the same thing about their immune system. After doing hypo so many times I've realized how much that stresses their immune systems and in my first run of it my hippo got HLLE. I'm probably going to go back and forth on the thought, but for now, my instinct is to stop doing hypo and just build up their immune systems. I've already lost a ton of fish (a few died from the stress of hypo), so at this point, it can't be worse than things have already been. Plus, I'm just sick of spending the time doing the hypo process, the 48 hour lowering and the 5-day raise in salinity is a pain.

m0nk

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2542151
I like the pinstripe candy. Don't see those too frequently in my LFS.
Looks nice

-Justin
Thanks, my LFS doesn't get them often either, I got it from a member here last fall and it's grown considerably... In fact, the frogspawn is the only thing in this tank yet that I got from a LFS (got it in Jan '07); the rest are from online orders or frags from swf.com members.

rbu1

Hey Alex......Looking good.....Glad you are happy with it. Sorry to hear about the ich problem. I have also decided to go with the survival of the fitest attitude. I think I told you about my achilles tang. I QT'd him for 4 weeks and all was good. I put him in the main tank and ICH......He died 4 weeks later. I bought a blue faced angel QT'd him treated him with antibiotics for a cloudy eye. After 3 weeks in QT came home to a dead blue face.......None of my other fish in the main tank show any signs of ich. Even after the Achilles got it and died. So my assumption is they are not stressed that is why they stay ich free. I feed very well my homemade food as well as some purple seaweed from www.gettankedaquariums.com I swear by that purple seaweed. So next time I am not QTing. I am making sure the fish at the store looks good and is eating well. If he/she is then in my main tank they go........BILL

m0nk

Originally Posted by rbu1
http:///forum/post/2544097
Hey Alex......Looking good.....Glad you are happy with it. Sorry to hear about the ich problem. I have also decided to go with the survival of the fitest attitude. I think I told you about my achilles tang. I QT'd him for 4 weeks and all was good. I put him in the main tank and ICH......He died 4 weeks later. I bought a blue faced angel QT'd him treated him with antibiotics for a cloudy eye. After 3 weeks in QT came home to a dead blue face.......None of my other fish in the main tank show any signs of ich. Even after the Achilles got it and died. So my assumption is they are not stressed that is why they stay ich free. I feed very well my homemade food as well as some purple seaweed from www.gettankedaquariums.com I swear by that purple seaweed. So next time I am not QTing. I am making sure the fish at the store looks good and is eating well. If he/she is then in my main tank they go........BILL
Thanks Bill, I certainly have gotten a lot of compliments on the stand and canopy from friends and family, so I'm definitely happy that I bought your tank.

Sorry to hear about your losses, that's certainly a shame about the Achilles, they're such awesome fish. The fish I lost while trying to treat certainly bummed me out too so it's almost like the stress of treatment is just as bad as the ich itself. And that's probably what I'll do too, right in the DT if they're looking healthy for a couple days... The one down the street here will hold up to 7 days.
I keep meaning to stop by that guy's shop, it's actually a half block from one of my coworkers. And their prices on the purple seaweed are pretty good. I started doing the homemade food route too... the fish all seem to love it.

m0nk

Originally Posted by air_putih
http:///forum/post/2545501
love your full tank shot...
awesome !
Thanks! I've been trying to get a better shot but it's tough cause my camera isn't the best. I'll probably just take some vids with my mini-dv once I get some more fish in there...

m0nk

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2635193
updates? since you've been gone so long..
I need to take some new pics, but I do have quite a few more fish and some different coral arrangement. My fish list now:
3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Convict Tang
2 Clowns
1 Mandarin
1 Wrasse
And I do plan on adding a couple more in the future, just not sure what yet, perhaps 1 male and 2-3 female anthias or something. Everything is happy and healthy, and the tank is doing great. Some Cyano shows up every now and again, and I had 2 acro frags RTN a while back, but overall things are going quite well.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2635621
I need to take some new pics, but I do have quite a few more fish and some different coral arrangement. My fish list now:
3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Convict Tang
2 Clowns
1 Mandarin
1 Wrasse
And I do plan on adding a couple more in the future, just not sure what yet, perhaps 1 male and 2-3 female anthias or something. Everything is happy and healthy, and the tank is doing great. Some Cyano shows up every now and again, and I had 2 acro frags RTN a while back, but overall things are going quite well.
Monk, tank is looking awesome
what type of wrasse did you end up with?

m0nk

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2636137
Monk, tank is looking awesome
what type of wrasse did you end up with?
Some people are going to flame me for this one but here it goes; Cleaner. After as many fish as I lost to ich (or rather, the treatments for ich, I never actually lost a fish to ich itself), I'm not QT'ing anymore, no more hypo, no copper, nada. It's all garlic and the cleaners for me for now. I only got one, and that's all I'll stick with, but my ich went away after going this route and has not come back in almost 3 months. So, I'm fairly happy with the results.

joncat24

Looks great, monk.

I agree , when I had my 180 with all the tangs in it. I never QT'd or used hypo. I just fed heavy with garlic soaked algae sheets, and a couple cleaner wrasse and shrimps. no problems with ich at all.