1st fish

vaughn

I would like to add 2 clowns as my first fish to my 40 gallon tank. Its been running for a month now. I have 30 lbs of live rock. I think I heard that its good to add clowns in pairs. Is that true? Or should I add them one at at time to give the bio load some time to adjust?
Thanks

jerryatrick

I suggest to add them as a pair. If you wait you run the risk of some aggression when the second one is added. People have done it both ways but the "add one fish at a time" rule gets thrown out when it comes to a potential mating pair IMO.

pbnj

No longer a clown fish fan.
I've had a couple and all they did was burrow and spew sand all over everything.

vaughn

I have to get clowns. Its one of the few I can actually get from Nemo with my size tank.

If I get two, should I ask for a male and a female? Will they be able to tell the difference? I know I can't at this point.

teresaq

just get two small ones. one just a little bit bigger then the other, the bigger one will turn into a female as she grows. If you try to buy them as a mated pair, they will be much more expensive.
T

vaughn

I was thinking False Percula Clownfish. Are these the best for a beginner?
Do they change sexes as they get older? That's pretty weird.

Hello, my tank has been running for a year now. I added 4 clowns as one of my first fish. After all this time they still stay in their little group. I have 3 bulb tipped anemones but the 4 of them switch from one to the other all together. They are truly entertaining. I even had one lay eggs a couple of weeks ago and they all guarded the eggs as if they belonged to all of them.