1x250 vs. 2x150

shawnhardy

Trying to decide on lighting for a 36" 40 gallon reef tank. The tank is only 16" deep. I know a guy that makes custom hoods and will basically make anything I want. What are peoples thoughts on 1 250W HQI bulb vs. 2 150W HQI bulbs? Will one bulb cover the full 36 inches? Will it cost more to have 2 bulbs rather than one? I don't just mean $ but also heat and other things I am not thinking of. I don't want to have to buy a chiller.

caillou

I'm under the impression that the spread is only 24" even on HQI's. Being only 16" deep I'd opt for the 2 x 150's

robchuck

I would definately go with the 2x150W. They will give you plenty of penetration for a 16" deep tank. Plus, only one light over a 36" long tank doesn't give much coverage at the sides. I used to have a 65g (36"L) set up with 2x175W MH and loved the coverage. Now, I have a 29g (30"L) running with 1x250W MH over the tank, and the sides are noticably dim.

golfish

Originally posted by RobChuck
I would definately go with the 2x150W. They will give you plenty of penetration for a 16" deep tank. Plus, only one light over a 36" long tank doesn't give much coverage at the sides. I used to have a 65g (36"L) set up with 2x175W MH and loved the coverage. Now, I have a 29g (30"L) running with 1x250W MH over the tank, and the sides are noticably dim.

I couldn't agree more with --...BUT, if you plan to upgarde tank size I'd go with the 250's...its not like their going to cost more to buy..

shawnhardy

Thanks. Sounds like 2x150 is the way to go.
Next part...20,000K HQI bulbs vs. actinic (2x55W PCs or 4x39W T5s)
I would like to be able to have just the actinics on for a sunrise/sunset effect but I think it is much cheaper to just get the bluer HQIs. Comments?

pyro

I'd look into standard VHO bulbs also. I use 2 X 96W PC lighting over my 30g reef and wish I would have gone with VHO. The Power Compact feels cheap to me and is hard to clean without snapping the clips in teh middle. Could have just been my retro kit from corallife - but the reflector was too small and it generally feels cheap.
I probably will not go with PC again. MH with VHO suppliment for me or just MH.
Just my $.02

viper_930

Originally posted by shawnhardy
Next part...20,000K HQI bulbs vs. actinic (2x55W PCs or 4x39W T5s)

If I were you, I'd go for the T-5s, they're more powerful. And if your asking about the K of the HQI bulb too, I think 14,000k bulbs are good with actinic T-5s.

shawnhardy

I think if I am going to supplement with actinics, that I will use 10,000k for the HQIs. Curious to hear what people think of supplemented blue light (PC, VHO or T5) or just having bluer halide bulbs (20,000K)...

viper_930

10,000 MH bulbs will give better growth, but 20,000 gives the coral more natural pigment for better colors. Just depends on if you want better growth or better color.