(2) 175watt lights vs (2) 250 watt lights

jakepilot

i have a 75 gallon tank, i am thinking about getting 2 250 watt MH lights but will this heat up my tank too much? even if i put a fan on there i dont want to buy a chiller...should i just buy the 2 175 watt lights..

blondenaso1

It really depends on what you want to do with the tank as far a corals and such. The 175's should be fine for about anything you want to do. You probably would have temp problem with the 250's despite the fan.
Anyone else have some thoughs?

bobber

Have you thought about a MH/VHO combo? With only one 175w MH and two actinic/two daylight VHO bulbs, heat would no longer be an issue. You could run a temp controlled fan and it would help keep the temp down. By running both types of lighting, the MH would only have to be on for four hours, thus eliminating the heat problem. And the VHO's are very versatile. You would be able to keep most corals with this type of lighting as well.
Use two separate ballasts, of course. One for each type of lighting. And use two separate timers also. You could even run different timers for the VHO's(actinic comes on first and goes off last simulating dawn and dusk).
I hope this helps you. I just thought I'd try and help with different options. --Bob

mr . salty

One bulb alone would surly light up the tank,but it wouldn't reach from end to end.Even with the supplimental lighting,there would be a noticable bright spot in the center of the tank.I would go with two if you do it at all....

q

I have 2 175W MH and 4 VHO on my 75. I get a change of about 3 degrees. My canopy is for the most part totaly closed. I do have 2 4in fans moving air and the bulbs are 8in off the water. I don't know what heat will do as I havn't had to go through a summer yet. If you don't do VHO support then go for the 250's. I would doubt that they would put out more heat then what I allready have. BTW I wish I had 250's in my tank now instead of the 175's.

kijak

I agree with Q, I built a dual 250 and run 10k lights on it, it's in a fully enclosed acrylic canopy, with 2-4" fans, I did get some heat on the hood, untill I put reflective material on all sides with a slight bow in it, Sits right on top of the Glass Top about 1 inch up, no problems so far.

q

Check this out
<a href="http://webpages.charter.net/steel4/reef.htm" target="_blank">http://webpages.charter.net/steel4/reef.htm</a>
I just met the guy online. He has 2 400W MH over a 70 gallon tank. Don't know much about the setup yet but I will get to see it in a couple of weeks. If I remember I'll try to post back what he is doing for heat. If I forget and you really want to know feel free to remind me. I'll know by April 9th