2.5 gallon Nano

S

skysmom

Being a newbie (just added first piece of LR today), I really enjoy this site. I have learned a lot more, because there are more people like me, who don't know a lot, like me :)
I have to get a test for the amonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phosphates yet, but being that I did just add the LR, I have a little time, right, especially since I am not adding any fish, because this is so small of a tank. I have a VERY tiny 2.5 gal setup right now, I need to find a mini-compact light for my hood too. I have black colored marine sand as the substrate.
As for the tests, they make tests that test that stuff in one shot, right? I think I saw something like that on a SW site somewhere for sale. My Ph is 8.2 and my salinity is at 31 and my SG is 1.023.
To help kick off cycling, I know about the shrimp thingy, but what about the commercial bacteria liquid that I heard about? Being that I have such a small setup for now, what do you think?
My LR is really pretty...Looks like a piece of old coral, with pretty pinks and greens. I have a picture, but the flash went off and there is a big glare. I'll try to get another in a few days, when something may be growing or popping out. I cannot wait to see what happens! I do need to get a few smaller pieces of LR. I think. The piece I have is only about 1.5lbs, do you think that is enough for a 2.5 gal tank?
Another question...the filter i have is a whisper brand, came with the tank. I was told and have read that they are ok to use. What's the real deal? This one I know makes a great current, and I really don't think that I would need a powerhead with it, especially since I know that I will be changing the water A LOT.
That raises YET another question. Sorry this is so out of whack and not very well thought out but it's late and I am extremely thristy for the knowledge that is "Finding Nemo" and "SharkTale" (our 2 y/o daughter got them for her birthday on the 8th, which is one reason we want to give a SWA a shot...She LOVES Nemo)...Being such a small tank, would the cycling be done faster? or still about the same time, since the ratio of LR to tank size is equal, in theory?
I think this will be all I ask for now. I am sure I will have more ?'s down the line here, so....off to bed I go...it is 2am...
PLEASE ask any questions about my setup if you need clarification, so I can get this going the best I can.
(sorry so much 2 read....can't wait for this journey...haven't been this excited over something since my daughter was born!!)

bigarn

Sounds good. You could probably keep some zoos and such in there, along with a few hermits and snails. Try getting the specific gravity up to 1.025 and the temp. to 80, then the salinity should be fine. To start the cycle, I'd just feed the tank flake food just like there was a fish in there.
The amount of rock and the filter sound fine. :happy:
Good Luck with it! :D

S

skysmom

fish flakes...ok, just a pinch then, every day? Every other day? Any specific kind of food? I have tropical flakes meant for bettas and I also have plain old goldfish flakes.
Todays readings:

Temp - 82
ph - 8.2
Salinity - 31
SG - 1.023
Still don't have the other tests yet, looks as if it will be a while until I can get it, we are getting a lot of snow and freezing rain and such, and being that I literally live on the top of a mountain, I cannot get out to the store to get them :(
Same with the lighting, I need a mini compact, but only have an incandecent right now. Is that ok till I get the mini?? Does anyone have an extra one?

bigarn

Any kind of flake food is fine. Add it 2 or 3 times a day. The lighting is fine for now.... no hurry. :D

S

skysmom

My salinity and SG keep falling...should I do a partial change? Or should I just add salt to the water? I still dont have the tests I need. I should be ok tho, right? I mean, I know that it will be a while till I get anything to actually live in there, becaue of the money situation right now, but I should still keep track, huh?
How about a coputer program to keep a record on? Does anyone else use one? What one? Any reccomendations?:happyfish

spline9

I recommend getting a jug of salt water and a jug of fresh RO/DI water handy. Dont add salt directly to the tank. Mix salt water and add it that way. Especially when you get critters in there.
Excel is a great program for keeping records. If nothing else Word/WordPad/Notepad work just as well.
Good luck with the tank!

S

skysmom

I found a program online, called AquaLog, that I am going to try out. It is pretty simple, I think I am going to stick with it. It's just a fill in the blank-database type. Works prety slick.
I know not to add it directly when there are animals and stuff, I wasn't sure if it would hurt during the cycle.

spline9

Adding water wont hurt the cycle or critters. Just remember when theres critters in there, do it slowly or a little at a time.

S

skysmom

I meant adding salt directly to the tank. Oh well, LOL, I'll get it all straight :)

S

skysmom

the first critter ws seen last night. My step-daughter saw a creature she described as a small white slug with hairs on it's head. She said it was about 1/4" long. She said it almost blended in with the LR, so it's a creamy white color. I have yet to see it. I saw what I thought may have been a polyp or anenome, but I think it was just a shell or something. It was small, and looked kind of like a transparent clam shell. It moved too, but I think that may have been with the currents in the water. It's not there anymore tho. So I am not sure what it could have been. Any ideas as to either? If I see them, I'll try to take a pic, but since my camera doesn't have a macro function, I don't know how great it will work. We'll see :)
Let's hope this is the first of many more critters in our little home :)

S

skysmom

It's been a while since I have updated this, and to update.....
We have added a cleaner shrimp, named Shimp (by the 2 y/o daughter), a cerith snail, "Nail", also named by the daughter, a scarlet hermit, "Cra-Cram", again, 2 y/o, and 2 unnamed unidentified hermits. They came directly from the ocean, and have been doing really well in there.
As for the other critters mentioned before, none of them were seen again, so who knows what they were. Anyway, here's a few pics of the inhabitants :)