2.5 Gallon

zooinaroom

Ok, Im basically new to salt water. Last year I helped an ex bf do a 35 gallon but thats about it. I have 3 empty 2.5 gallon tanks and I usually do fresh water. I have a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon fw. But I want to do a nano, just a small 2.5 gallon to keep like a desktop. All Im looking for is step by step how to perfectly start this. As of right now I have the minibow 2.5 gallon. I know that I would need a new light, new filter but what else? Please bare with me as I really want this, and have been looking into it for awhile.

fishieness

just so you know, you cant fit any fish in taht thing. some corals and a hermit, but thats about it if you have the lights for corals.
lights, heater, filter or small powerhead. some sand. like 2-4 pounds of live rock.
then jsut all the basics like salt, testing supplies, hydrometer (or better yet refractometer), ect

littlebuck

not to sound rude but if you are looking at prices and worried its gonig to be to much this is a very bad hobby to start. But for a 10 gallon if you want to keep only fish it really wont be that much lets say maybe 100. And if you want corals then you will need a skimmer, lights which can run from anywhere from 300 on up or around there i guess.

codered

I think a 2.5 gallon is a bit small for fish. However, my experience is that inverts are much more fun to watch... and I think it'd be possible to keep those.
I'd actually recommend getting a 6 gallon JBJ Nano Cube. They're around $85 on a lot of sites. Then you could *possibly* fit in a small clownfish and a few inverts. Also, the 6 gallon would be easier to care for.
CodeRed

mimzy

I also started small thinking it would save me money. Did it?
Hahahahahahahahaha no.
I've got a 12gallon nano-reef and have well over $1,000 in it. Nanos are just as expensive as the real thing - and they're a lot more work, oddly enough. You have to be extremely consistant with water changes and additives and feedings and adding livestock....the list goes on. Bad things happen REALLY FAST in small tanks.
I'm starting a larger tank (my second saltwater tank) in a couple weeks and calculated all my costs.... because larger tanks are more common and therefore the equipment needed to start them is more readily available used or at discounts, my larger tank will cost me LESS than my 12gallon.
Everyone told me to start big - and now I know why.

Even a 30 or 40gallon would be better than a 10, imo, and either one would leave you with vastly more stocking options than a 10.

littlebuck

i agree there Mimzy i would not get a 10 gal since you will want to get a bigger tank after a couple weeks.

zooinaroom

Trust me, I wish i could go big. Im only 18 and I live with my parents, they said if I get one more fishtank they are gonna "kick my ..." so yaaa. They find my obsession with fish to be stupid. Plus i have to keep all the tanks in my room, and as of right now i have a 29 gallon a 10 gallon and 3 2.5 gallons, i cant fit any other ones, essp not bigger ones. The thing is i plan to do this extremely slowly, saving up money and not rushing it at all, so in the long run money is not a problem. The reason i want a nano is because i want to focus on the small worlds of marine, not a big ol tank with perdy fishes (but trust me when i get my own house that will be on my to do list) Im just sick of fresh water i guess.

mimzy

if that's the case, then imo it's the best idea to save up and convert one of your larger FW tanks

style23

Originally Posted by ZooinaRoom
Trust me, I wish i could go big. Im only 18 and I live with my parents, they said if I get one more fishtank they are gonna "kick my ass" so yaaa.
my parents feel the same way, i have 2 tens, a 20, a 55, and a 125 :help: and im 17
edit> im going to bed, i have school in 4 hours

chipmaker

Well I guess I am the odd person out in this thread, as I find PICO sized tanks to be no harder to keep than larger tanks. Yes you can get lots of money tied up in them just like a larger gallonage setup but PICO size is unique and yes, you can keep a fish in them if you choose your fish wisely...Neon Gobys and Rainfordi Goby make excellent fish for such sized tanks....I have large tanks but still find myself setting up PICO tanks all the time....They need not be expensive per se, for just a decent hob type filter, and light, what costs is what you put in them in the line of livestock, and there is no way a fully stocked pico is going to cost anything near what it would be to stock say a 29 or 55 or larger tank..Just the price of LR and LS alone is a lot less....if you do it properly. It may be an extreme, but I think a small setup is ideal for a beginer...Yes in the beginnning smaller is harder to setup and keep, mainly with temp swings etc, but its still no diferent than large setups. I believe getting ones feet wet with a PICO or NANO and being able to keep it properly, and if the bug for the hobby still exists further down the road, then go larger.....I started with numerous PICO sized setups, which I still have and doing just fine, and eventually graduated up to larger with a 210 gal being the largest, and my favorites are still, like I stated earlier PICO's.

fishieness

Originally Posted by Style23
my parents feel the same way, i have 2 tens, a 20, a 55, and a 125 :help: and im 17
edit> im going to bed, i have school in 4 hours
im 17 too, but i have a snow day today :joy:
if you are looking for only fish and no corals, then its realy not goign to be expensive. a little 10 gallon tank with a filter, small powerhead, a few pounds of live rock, some sand, heater, a strip light, and a few hermits.
however, if you want to do corals i would disagree with littlebuck about needed a skimmer. in such a small tank, water changes get the job done.

chipmaker

Currents Fission skimmer is a nice little sized skimmer with a lot of variable mounting and setup options that works great on the small PICO tanks.......Of ocurse even as small as it is, it still take up precious real estate in an already small tank, so I would tend to do water changes. I have two picos with the current fission brand skimmer in them and they look super, but really no better than the ones that I do water changes on.....but I would have to assume there is still a lot less organic materials in the skimmer equipped tanks.

pinkfish

Yeah I used to have all FW tanks too. I just got tired of them (I love all my fish though) so I went out and bought a 36gal and now I've had it over a year. And I moved my goldfish out of their 29 gal into a ten and am converting that into a reef only tank next week and I'm in the middle of setting up a 10gal nano. and I'm looking at 55gal tanks so I can get some lions. It is so addicting. I bought my first one when I was eighteen, I still live with my mom but it is going to be insane when I do move out (prob next year or so) It is an exspensive hobby- it costs more then my horse and riding lessons. Ha ha I think I want everything now because I always had to pay for everything myself and now I can afford it (sometimes:))

rivrat

My son has a ten gallon nano running and it does fine with just a 1 gallon a week water change no additives.
Equipment: 10 gallon tank
Skilterfilter 400 powerfilter/skimmer in one
1- maxi jett 600 powerhead
100 watt heater
65w 50/50 power compact light
11 pounds fiji live rock
just enouygh sand to cover the bottom for looks
Livestock: 1 Royal Gramma
4 scarlet hemits
1 peppermint shrimp
2 frags of zoos
4 ricordea polpys
small rock with 5 neon green clove polpys on it
and a small frag of Green Star Polpys
All corals were taken from my display tank. This tank is still new at only 2.5 months but we have never had any problem with it doing just weekly water changes and every 2 weeks changing one of the filter pads in the skilterfilter.
Cost for this set up was 50 dollars but I had most of the stuff laying around. If you had to start from nothing you could prboly set up a 10 gallon for $100- $150.
rivrat