2 different LFS's 2 different options.....

ophthos

So I'm in my preliminary stages of setting up a 175 gal reef tank. I got "The Concientious Aquarist" and read the whole book, good book BTW, and I have gone to two different LFS's and asked, "how would you set up my tank?"
Both stores said to take it slow, water live rock and sand first, then crabs/snails, then fish, and later coral.
The difference was in the filtering. One store said use a wet/dry with bioballs, Ehim (?sp) canister filter, calcuim and co2 tank for the corals. The other store said protein skimmer, and a sump and refugium set up.
Both places sounded like they knew their stuff as to types of fishes to add, both are very reputable. I'm sure we can get into a big discussion on the plusses and minuses of both systems, but do both sound OK or is one really much better?

aquaknight

The first store must be older (or the guy telling what to do is), as those were the filtering methods of the 90's. The second store's method is the modern (today's) approach, which is pretty much what's recommended, especially for reef setups. The first approach has several drawbacks, namely that for a reef setup, a wet/dry with bioballs tends to produce a lot of nitrates, something not completely understood awhile ago. The best way to describe the modern approach is removal. The protein skimmer removes a lot of junk in your water, and whatever's leftover, the refugium (if stocked with macroalgae) absorbs. The drawback to the second method, is cost. A nice skimmer and sump with refugium can easily run upwards of $500-$1000, esp for a large skimmer for that 175gal. Of course there are cheaper ways, such as buying used equipment.

ophthos

Hey Aquaknight you hit it on the head, the guy who recommended the canister is older and the guy who recommended the fuge is younger. The younger guy is right down the street, as opposed to 1 hr away and he has been doing saltwater and freshwater fish for over 20 years.
I'm going to have him put together a quote on a whole system and I'll post what he says and see what you guys think.
Thanks in advance
Peter

matt b

Go with the second store. And like you said have them give you a quote and post it all up here. Then we can tell you if its a good idea/deal or not.