2 GS marroon

saltn00b

Hi all, i was about to order 2 gold striped maroon clowns from this site as i got my 10g quarantine up and running and cycled.
or recycled as the case may be. i am not pretreating it with copper or anything this time around. all though there will still be some trace amounts in the there,
it should be of zero or little consequence. anyway the description on the site says there should be only 1 per tank, but if i order
2 aquacultured ones, they will both be small juveniles, then wont the larger one become female and become a mated pair? or am i missing something?

jmick

I'm no expert here but I think you might be better off buying a larger GSM and then getting a much smaller one, which may help them pair up faster.

saltn00b

seems i can only pick aquacultured, (1-2 inches) and then wild (2-4) inches. the wild are on the wish list though. and i dont think wild are guaranteed :(

J

jdragunas

that's generally how it works, but it's not guaranteed they'll pair up. It's possible they'll just fight with eachother before that happens... it really all depends on the clown itself.

salt phish

You can't pair premnas by just letting two juveniles grow up , I am about to try to pair my maroon.... they are very agresive and will usually kill one or the other.

J

jdragunas

ohhhh, those are going in the 10g qt? or are they going in a bigger tank? I def. wouldn't put them in the 10g!!! that would just increase the liklihood of aggressiveness!

saltn00b

no no just to quarantine for 1 month? then into my 75 g. i am tired of getting ich from all these LFS , so from what i have gathered thats the safest way to add new fish

J

jdragunas

ohhh, that's what i figured in the first place, but the i wasn't sure...
and hahaha. i just got your name. salt newbie... i was looking at it like... salt'n oob... or salt noob.. i was like what's a salt noob? or "did he mean salt'n boob"??? LMAO!!!

saltn00b

jdragunas, LOL
so then i am on the wish list for a wild caught, so when they get em in, ill grab 1 , and then aquacultured. then ill have one bigger guy and one smaller . ya think that should work out?
i know nothing is ever certain, but i have heard if acclimated together, theres a better chance og them becoming mated.

bret61081

Hey salt....I got a pair of GSM clowns last month at a LFS...look around down here...my male is less then 1" and the female is like 2"...they are so cute....Look around though...ther are plenty of LFS where we pick out our own fish insted of ordering them online...

saltn00b

i have been looking down here but the places i have been checking out, in margate, lauderhill, plantation areas, all have jack cause of the hurricane they lost alot. and then others dont look too healthy. i have ordered inverts from swf.com that came fine, but never fish. plus i figure they have a guarantee, which no LFS will ever offer. what stores you been going to bret?
-- also
SWF.com is located in clearwater so the shipment comes in 1 day, which is pretty nice, and less stressful for them lil critters, i reckon. :thinking:

J

jdragunas

...i personally wouldn't get wild caught! Bigger chance of disease, and your other fish may not be immune to diseases the wc clown may be carrying... it's all around a bad thing. And, chances are they used cyanide to catch him, which makes for a very unhealthy clown... i personally wouldn't risk it...
here's what i would do: buy 1 captive bread now, and in a few months, when it is bigger, buy another captive bread. When you introduce the second one, move around the decor and LR in your tank, so no one will have an established territory. That way, you get healthy fish, and they have a better chance of pairing up! good luck!!!

snailheave

i used to have a pictorial on how to pair maroons but it got old and busted

and i don't have the pictures either, what a waste.

saltn00b

Originally Posted by snailheave

gee snail, thanks for you help

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by snailheave

OHHHH, i'd LOVE to see that!!!