2 many fish in QT!! Help!

miel

:nervous: I found what appears to be ich on one of my Chromis. So I moved all fish to the QT tank to do hyposaline treatment. My problem is that I have 5 Chromis and 5 Percs in a 5 gallon Eclipse QT tank. They are all small 1-1 1/2 inchs each. Can they survive in so small a space for the 30 day treatment? How often do I need to do water changes?
I did not take my LMB out of main tank, is it true that they don't get ich? This is my 1st time using QT tank so could use advice here, please.

miel

The tank is well cycled, and I'm planning on 20% water changes twice daily. The levels of amonia are ok so far. I am using a regular hydrometer to maintain salinity. I don't have a refractometer, always ment to get one, and dont have it now that I need it. If I'm really consistant with water changes, can I make this work? Oh, it is ich, I've had it before, and tried treating with meds from lfs. This site is where I learned about hypo and QT's. The lfs's don't tell you half of the stuff I've learned here.

C

crm13

Meil, I have been successful doing freshwater baths for ich which in your case may be worth a shot because you have so many fish in that qt. I just use a buffer to bring the pH up to 8.0 -8.3 and drop the fish in for a few minutes. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't freak out. Sometimes, they'll just lay on the bottom, but you want to make sure that they don't start swimming around erratically. I just use a 1 gallon "betta" bowl. I just did it every other day for the few minutes each shot and did like three treatments. Just use new water each time. I've had to do that for a few fish over the past 8 months (usually shortly after I got them), and had one not make it (I think that I waited too long to see if the tomato clown would shake it off without intervention - I figured if my yellow tang could do it, it was worth a shot to wait it out.) I was lucky enough that all the fish that I treated were in qt at the time they got it so I could always do hypo if need be. I just think that you may have a hard time doing hypo without the accuracy of a refractometer to maintain consistency with your salinity. Good luck to you, Meil.

miel

CRM13 thanks this sounds like an option for me that I hadn't considered. I do have 1 more ? though. How about the ick in my main tank? Won't it reinfect the fish after they are returned to it?

C

crm13

Yeah, unfortunately, that's definitely possible. I'm not really sure of the best solution given your situation because of the size of your qt and the number of fish you need to have in there. Obviously, the best solution would be to get a bigger qt so that you can perform the bath procedures and then keep an eye on them for a few weeks while your main tank is void of hosts. I'm not sure if that is a viable option for you. If not, you may have no choice but to do freshwater baths and return them to the main tank. At least the bath will remove the spots that are currently on the fish showing signs of ich. You can see them fall right off. Then watch the fish to see if it comes back again. You can always repeat the procedure if you need to. You may find that your fish recuperate just fine and only one or two may need the qt, which will be much more manageable for you. Ich, from what I understand, is kinda always around; it's just that stress will cause it to rear it's ugly head. Making sure there are no hosts for at least 4-5 weeks will destroy most of the free swimming forms of it, but I think you will definitely stress your fish out more by having them in such close quarters for this long. I just think you may have better success going this way. Also, see what Beth says, she is really knowledgeable with disease treatment. I'm sure you know, but double check your water quality, temp, and anything else you can think of that may have caused stress to you fish just so that you don't do all this for nothing, and of course, so that your fish will be okay for a much longer time. Good luck, and I HTH.

miel

CRM13 I hear ya , and I think I'll give the freshwater dip a try. I won't have time to cycle a larger tank if I want to save these guys. So I think I'll start with the obviously infected ones 1st. Then maybe a quick trip to the lfs for a refractometer. I'd better be preparred 30 days is a long time to nurse these lil fellas. Thanks for the help I really apreciate it! Kris