olimark

Ph- 8.2
Ammonia- .25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10
SG- 1.022
temp 78
guys this is the current readings

They turned all white and had trouble breathing. In the morning they looked great swimming and having fun. They did show mild signs that whey had been sick but nothing major. in the evening they were at the top of the tank trying to breath oxygen. then turned major white in a few short time period and fell to bottom dead. I have introduced a hermit crab and mexican snail yesterday. I just do not think the new animals caused it. This is a new Tank. It is about 5 1/2 weeks old. Could this be a cycle issue and if it is when do I know I reached the end of my cycle? Also if it is a cycle thing how come my readings all look good. What can I do please HELP!

elfdoctors

What fish do you have? How many did you have? Which ones died? When was the last fish added?
When you say 2 "more" fish died, there may be a cycle issue for a 5 1/2 week tank. It is usually recommended to only add 1-2 fish at a time to avoid a mini cycle. Ammonia should not be detectable at all. Some test kits are not possible to tell the difference between 0 and .25. Has it ever been 0? If ammonia is detectable there is a problem.
Do you have a quarantine tank? For a small amount of money, you can avoid a lot of hassles (like this one) in the future.
With the rapidity of the deaths, the fish turning white and the breathing difficulty, I am thinking you may have marine velvet disease or brooklynella. Try doing a search for these diseases.
With the above info, the moderators can probably guide you with treatment issues as well as any quarantine recommendations. Good Luck!

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by olimark
Ammonia- .25

Deadly to marine life.
Don't put live animals in an uncycled tank. Do you have LR or LS in that tank?
By chance where these fish clownfish?

olimark

yes now my last two fish are near death and one is a clown fish and the others were damsels. I have a res and white shrimp that has now sheded it's skin 3 times in just over 1 month is this normal or is he sick also?

karajay

Originally posted by olimark
I have a res and white shrimp that has now sheded it's skin 3 times in just over 1 month is this normal or is he sick also?

It is not normal for them to molt that frequently. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they will molt to grow and/or to rid their body of toxins. Not a good sign.

almarktool

how can your red and white shrimp molt 3 times in a month in a tank that has only been set up for 5 1/2 weeks ???? this would mean u added the shrimp at 2 1/2 weeks into the cycle ,
take what ever u have out and back to the store if it is still alive,
and post what kind of set up u have
tank size
substrate
filter
etc
etc
etc
it sound slike u have not cycled tank needs to sit for 6 weeks nothing in it except a piece of cocktail shrimp to start cycle