2 more Hypo ???

sprieto

Does one do regular (bi-weekly?) water changes once salinity has reached targeted 1.009?
And, I read salinity must be dropped to at least 1.009 or it will not work. If true, 1.010 is not affective, then how low is to dangerous for the fish, 1.008, 1.007 or is it lower?
If hydrometers are no good for this treatment, how much variance does a refractometer have?
Anyone????

E

exile415

you can't use hydrometers for this treatment. yes if salinity isn't 1.009 it won't be affective. I don't recall if it's dangerous, All I remember is it's the safest way to treat ich.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Regular maintenance is required on a hypo treatment tank just as it is required on the diplay. The change out water, of course, will be hyposaline water with appropriate pH.

sprieto

So with a refractometers variance of +/- .001, it is possable that a reading of 1.009 could actually be 1.010 or 1.008.
I did just get my refractometer (yes, very cool).
Everything is going okay, just want to have all the bases covered.
So I read anything higher than 1.009 (1.010) will not be affective.
But will 1.008 harm fish?
I did calibrate the refractometer, and again, everything is okay, just wanting to make sure this works, and is safe........
Thanks again.

bird dog

Your Welcome.
Nobody seems to have any imput on how long you can stay ay 1.009 safely so I will just do another 4 weeks and hope things stay well.
As for if the ick will be gone for good if I don't add anything. I will figure there will be a sleeper egg out there just waiting to hatch at a time of weakness. :happy:

sprieto

I read somewhere that ick is always in the tank, just dormit ?????
I think that if 1.009 would kill ick but not harm fish then why not tell everyone who does fish only to keep there tank at 1.009.
There has to be long term affects for else why not leave our fish only tanks at 1.009.
Everything is going okay so far, refractometer is very cool.........

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by sprieto
I read somewhere that ick is always in the tank, just dormit ?????'

No, that is a myth.
I think that if 1.009 would kill ick but not harm fish then why not tell everyone who does fish only to keep there tank at 1.009.
I do, all the time.
sprieto said:
sprieto said:
There has to be long term affects for else why not leave our fish only tanks at 1.009.
Everything is going okay so far, refractometer is very cool.........
Hypo is a short-term treaatment which is fine for marine fish. The long term use of hypo may effect fish adversely. Some hobbyist do maintain their FO tanks in hyposaline condition, thought not as low as 1.009/14ppt.

bird dog

Thats my point for how long you can safely keep at 1.009. Pet stores keep fish only tanks at 1.016 to 1.017 and run copper but we are supposed to go to 1.023 and risk ick. What are the benifits verses dead fish anyway??