2 new anemones

L

lablabablah

yesterday. They are both closed up. My water parameters are perfect and salt is alittle high 1.026. Is this normal for them to close up when they are new to a tank or should I do something. I have a 29g biocube and a koralia powerhead #1 is that too much flow for these guys, bc one has moved up into a cave out of the light. need some help.

premilove

salt is perfect i run all my reefs at that level..give him a day he'll adjust. how did you acclimate him? i learned a trick from a friend that when u get him, before u add him to the tank, let him sit with out water for a min and let him burp out the water, then put him in! as long as his tentacles are moving and not being ripped away u should be fine..they are prob not used to the lighting yet. id give it another day

L

lablabablah

yea its the pc lights, i figured that. I will have go get some stronger ones tomorrow. any recomendations on ones that i should get?

kylecorson

before u spend ur hard earned money on stronger lighting, i was in the same situation, but have successfully maintained a gbta for a while now with pc lighting, keep in mind, anything an anemone is not getting from the lighting can be replaced with proper nutrition, feeding maybe X3 a week would help, also, make sure u replace ur lights at 4-6 months and u should b fine, but jmo, if my anemone dies off, then i'll go with stronger lights, but so far so good!

subielover

Wow, that is terrible advice.

A sunpod 150 watt metal halide fits perfectly on the Biocube 29. This will be the perfect amount of light for your anemones.

cdangel0

While an anemone can be "maintained" under PC lighting, it is truely not advisable to do so. i tried it, worked well for several months, nem colored up and everything.
Then I switched to T5 lights and realized the anemone had not been doing as well as I thought. It then egan to grow, got a nicer color, was fuller, etc.
Feed a nem 3 times a week will result in the nem growing entirely too fast which is not healthy for the nem or your tank.
Letting a nem sit out of water to "burp out it's water" is not the greatest acclimation method either. that will cause the nem a significant amount of stress. It's always best to drip acclimate for several hours so it can slowly adjust it's internal water with the external.
Your nems will open up, shipping, moving, acclimation generally stresses animals out and some just take longer to get comfortable and opened up again.

perfectdark

To answer the original question... right now it is too early to tell you that what your animal is doing is healthy or not. It is still acclimating itself to your tank. Purging itself of water to flush itself out and trying to feel comfortable. Give it a few days to a week, unless there is a noticeable decline in its health.
Just because your anemone has a healthy appearance does not mean it is entirely healthy.
Kind of difficult to explain but let me see if I can. Ample light for an anemone means that no scheduled supplemental feedings are necessary. Marginal lighting is evil IMO, there is no definitive way of telling just how healthy your anemone is when your lighting is riding that gray line. While in appearance it may look good its health maybe swaying in that margin for error that is extremely tiny if not non existent because your lighting is not sufficient. Any changes or fluctuations at all could spiral your animal into a state of extreme stress and or death. The flip side of things, ample lighting. This scenario ensures that the margin for error is large, under the correct environment of light and water quality, I would even go out on a limb to say a BTA would be difficult to kill, and could withstand many environmental changes.
Lastly we are assuming that the OP has a BTA or 2... If not what ever species of anemone you have will not live long at all if you dont upgrade your lighting soon.