2 out of control Damsels

Hello everybody I have a question. I have two yellow back damsels that I love but there out of control now!!!! They used to live with a yellow tang and a goby but they passed a few months ago during a move and they've been in this 50 gallon tank all bye themselves. So now I'm ready for new fish but the damsels are huge now!!! Their agressive to eachother and me!!! Even when I just sit there to whatch them they flar their fins and like hit the glass their crazy!!! I just added a scooter blenny who is so much smaller then them and they like attack him. I don't wanna give them away or nothing.... So with that said are there any suggestion for a fish that will put them in their place!!!!

fretfreak13

Get them out. IMO, the only thing that can put them in their place would be something that would make a new home for them in it's stomach. If you have a fuge and you really like them, throw them in there. That's where my damsel now resides after beating the crap out of my royal gramma.

flower

Well, as you now know damsels are extremely aggressive. The only thing you can do is add only equally aggressive fish. Like maybe a barracuda…

Your blenny is doomed, as is all peaceful critters you try and add.
There should be a warning issued with damsels when they sell them as sweet little baby fish, so folks know what they are in for when they mature into full blown demons. Good luck.

Lol Flower I agree with you they should add a warning cause at first they where just fine with the tang and goby but they've been in the tank so long by themselves they think they own it!
Fretfreak13 I will consider the fuge thanks for the advice :)

fretfreak13

Sure, good luck catching them though. Just ask Meowzer about that one. She has tried pretty much everything to catch her mean damsels.

So freak let's say I do put them in the fuge how long do I keep them in there for? Untill whatever new fish I get is established or forever?

V

vinnyraptor

putting a damsel in your fuge isnt a good thing. if your fuge is building up waste from said damsel its just another tank that nobody can see. lose the damsels!!!

fretfreak13

No matter what, they're agressive. My damsel is staying in my sump until I set up my frag tank, and then she'll be in there. You can stock your tank and put them back in, but there's no garuntee that it'll calm them down. They could instead just kill all of the creatures you just put in there. IMO, get rid of them if you're trying to put them back in the same tank.
Also, if you're looking for a mean fish to put them damsels in their place, guess who will be harrassing the rest of your tank just like the damsels were. The same fish, and when you take that fish out, then you have the damsels again. It kinda reminds me of The LIttle Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly. lol

btldreef

Get them out, even if it means tearing down all the rock work and re-doing it. You'll never have a peaceful tank with those little demons in there. Damsels are the fish from hell (along with sixline wrasses). Talk to Meowzer about her demon fish. I can't believe she hasn't been in here to comment yet.

I JUST dropped a yellow tail damsel off at ***** Monday morning ... felt like a mother abandoning her child at Social Services but it had to be done. I will say the feeling didn't last long ... by the time I was out of the parking lot, I was feeling pretty good about myself. LOL
He was actually a rock hitchhiker when I bought the tank a few weeks ago and was ok in the tank while he was alone. The fam wanted to "give him a chance" cause they got attached to our "first fish" so we added a Royal Gramma and the damsel turned into a royal PITA! Only took about 4 nip attempts
and we didn't even play hide and seek with his arse ... I was already warned that he would not be easy to catch so I didnt' waste any time ... took out all the rock and bammo ... caught him. It's unfair to any other livestock you might add. But the decision is up to you.
Good luck!
Kat

R

richard kagen

Started a FO tank with a domino, yellow tail and tiny panther grouper. Yesterday our order came from SWF.com (awsome service and product). We got 2 SF Eels, spotted puffer, wrasse, yellow tang, 20 hermits, 10 snails, I like that everything is small except for the eels.
The domino that was so cute the day before became the fish from hell tearing up the tang, cornering the puffer and nipping at the wrasse; bad. Ended up taking the tank appart to keep a $4.49 fish from killing $50 worth of very cool fish. Some might diagree with the next action, but the domino was a quick snack for the 10" Jaguar in another tank. What goes around comes around, no?

skate020

simples. buy a titan trigger, watch it do its stuff, then sell it back to the shop and get a picasso:D
it'll be a joy to watch.
i know that sounds harsh and i would not so it with any other fish, just damsels are soo damn annoying! along with the sixline, i agree with BTLD there, they are nasty creatures

srfisher17

Get them out, the little monsters will dictate everything you can do with YOUR tank. If your lfs told you to use them as "cycle" fish, tell them to come and catch them.
BTW, this is one of the most common topics on this forum.

scottnlisa

I bought 2 blue damels to cycle my tank. I thought cool, they are nice i'll keep them. Put a clown, coral beauty, and a sunrise dottyback. Well, things changed. 1 damels killed the smaller damsel. Then the damsel went after the coral beauty but that didn't last long. So it went after the clown. I caught it and gave it to a friend who has a 80 bow front. Well, hehehehe the damsel is the smallest fish in that tank and now is running for her life.
I bought a strawberry pseudochromis (LFS said they are nice and peaceful). That was a lie. As soon as I put it into the tank, it went right for the dottyback. I rearranged my tank to see if that would help. It did for a while but then it would go right after the dottyback. I woke up one morning, and the dottyback was missing his back fin totally. It died that day. Yet again, I caught the pseudochromis and gave it to my friend with the 80 g. She said as soon she put the pseudochromis into her tank, the damsel went after it. LOL. Those fish are EVIL!!!!!!

ironeagle2006

I will admit I have 1 yellow tail damsel in my 150. However my son wanted 3 in his 24 gallon biocube. What keeps my single from going nuts in my 150 could be that he is the little fish in a VERY LARGE TANK. Aka he screws up he is Fish food for my SFE or my wifes Blue Ribbon Eel. Now in my sons Biocube they are 3 of them and are peaceful towards the other 2 fish a clown and a Shrimpgoby. However if I had a Blue Velvet I would be ripping it out of the tank and then feeding it to the SFE ASAP. Last one of those I had killed a Naso and Sailfin Tang.

well i'd like to thank every one for the thoughts
I've visited my local LFS and they said that i could trade them little demons for something else.

So I took the D*** Damsels (that's their names) to my LFS
....Actually it wasn't that bad my guy gave me a new peice of LR great color, and my scooter blenny can be care free!