2 Puffers?

player24

I was wondering if would be ok to have 2 puffers in one fish aquarium. I already have a valentini puffers in my 46 bow front. I was wanting to add a second puffer (hawaiian spotted puffer.
Thanks

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by player24
I was wondering if would be ok to have 2 puffers in one fish aquarium. I already have a valentini puffers in my 46 bow front. I was wanting to add a second puffer (hawaiian spotted puffer.
Thanks
I thought only one puffer per tank?? Since it's only a 46 bow front, insufficient swimming room for two to get away from one another? And Valentini are a bit more aggressive then Hawaiian Spotted, wouldn't he pick on him? I'm not sure cause I don't have any puffers but am looking to get one once we purchase a large tank in the spring. Maybe someone in here would know, but those are my thoughts.

tom88

I have one as well. Valentini - He seems to be mellow and tends to change its color when stressed when I change water.
Do you get the same thing? :notsure:
I too like to know whether we can have a Hawaiian Spotted Puffer. Let me know !

diane4

I have heard lots of people say that two puffers should not be put together, although I do see some together in fish stores. That being said, it is also true that pet stores don't have much, if any - decorations in the tank where the fish can become terratorial.
I also think it depend on tank size, swimming room and personality of the current puffer. Is he an easy going guy or what? Has he been with other fish, if so - how did deal with that and what kind was he with. How long do you have your current puffer. I think if they are young, they can adapt assuming they have sufficient swimming room.
As they get older, just like people - I think their tollerence for new inhabitants, especially a young fish that can become agressive will not be a welcome guest in his tank.
I have a dog face puffer and he is such a sweety and gentleman. I have put ghost shrimp in there as a treat - he hasn't eaten them. He does not eat typical things that most people say that their puffer will eat. My little guy is not the norm I guess. Because of his easy going nature, I have thought about adding a puffer as a tank mate to his 90 gallon tank - any my puffer is in there buy himself right now and he is about 5 inches. I know I will need a bigger tank someday because he will grow big and will need the space, a nice 180 or 225 sounds good

But until then, I think since there is doubt out there, I wouldn't suggest it. Puffers seem to do well with tangs or some of the fish in the wrasse family - such as the Australian caught Tusk fish. We had one for a short while and our puffer loved him. We will probably get one again someday.
Foxface fish are cool.
I am not knowledgable about the puffer species that you have and don't know how big they grow. But, my bid is to not chance getting a second puffer.

player24

The only time I notice my puffer changing color is at night when it's time for bed. My Puffer does well with all of the other fish in the tank. If pestered by the other fish to much she will strike them! My tank has been running for about six months. So what I gather from the feed back is that it's a 50/50 chance they will get along.

edwar050

My valentini came out of a tank " 20 gallon" with a three different puffers but none were sharpnose. I would not mix two toby sharpnose puffers togeather as I imagine they would clash. Also I am pretty sure valentini's are alot less aggressive than the hawain blue spot.
Brad

promisetbg

I have kept two different types of bluespots together without incident. Canthigaster solandre and canthigaster epilamprus..

edwar050

According to pocket book for marine fishes and the conseincsous "mis" marine aquariast valentini's should not be mixed, its not saying it cannot be done, just would do it in a very large tank. The blue spot and valentini may get along they may not. How aggressive is your valentini, does it eat corals "if you know", does it attack shrimps/snails. If so I would get a mid size Hawaiian blue spot if your going to do it, if the puffer is mellow and occassionally picks off a snail or so I would get a really small Hawaiian blue dot puffer. I think it could be done but would def do so with caution. Same with mixing breeding valentini's. I was researching breeding valentini's but have definatly decided against it.

farslayer

My valentini and porcupine are together in a 29 gallon with some Xenia and shrooms with no problems. They seem to share food pretty well and do not bother the coral. I can't keep small inverts obviously because they are quick food, but I do keep some large strawberry hermits, two urchins soon a mouse cowrie. I may have the exception though :)

edwar050

Yeah that porcupine puffer in with shrooms and xenia is impressive. Bet its pretty cool looking. Which puffer would you say is more aggressive towards inverts, your valentini or porcupine?