2 sixline wrasse fighting

nycbob

has anyone try putting 2 of this in the same tank? i did today, and the established one was chasing the new away. i finally took the new one and put him into a new tank. i thought they were peaceful creature. how come there was no warning from this site about not having more than one in a tank when i purchased it?

reefer545

Yeah. wrasses will often not accept other wrasse that are about the same size adn shape. Sometimes even other fish that are very similar to themselves. Good luck.

dogstar

I have had mine together for years in a 150g reef....they get along fine...I put them in ay the same time.

nicetry

Adding them at the same time is key. They can get along in pairs or small groups in the right sized tank.

dmitry

There are a lot of fish that will not get along with their own kind unless they are a mated pair. And unless the tank is very large where they can have their own areas and stay out of each other's way. Six Lines are actually quite agressive for their size and for Wrasses in general; they definitely have a mean streak.

nycbob

i hv a 72 w like 150ibs of lr. but i put the new one in my 110 now w the meanies like lionfish and eel

lesleybird

Duh. Sixline wrasses are little

[hr]
. Don't know why they call them peaceful as the one I had in my ninety gallon killed a royal gramma and a flasher wrasse when I tried to put them in. They don't bother dissimilar fish though. I finally accidently killed mine after having him for 5 years by squashing him with a rock when I was changing out the tank to the new 190 gallon. I am glad I do not have one any more but my husband really liked him and wanted me to get another. In my new tank I put a Scotts Fairy wrasse (he is really big at almost 6 inches), and smaller red colored wrasse Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis (three inches), which are both very peaceful and get along fine together. Maybe you could give your 6 line back to the fish store. I always wanted to give mine away when I had him but he was way too sneaky to catch darting in and out of the rock work. Lesley

ophiura

Originally Posted by nycbob
i hv a 72 w like 150ibs of lr. but i put the new one in my 110 now w the meanies like lionfish and eel

Eventually it will be eaten.
I would strongly suggest you use the advantage of the message board before buying. SWF and LFS' sell fish, and they can not have information for every scenario. There is a side that comes down to the hobbyist to research, even if you choose not to listen to people saying that.
Had you ask that question I would have told you, as others, to not try it.
Now you have a fish that will be an expensive snack, eventually... :(

nycbob

i got it through mail order, so taken bk to lfs is not an option. besides it will be impossible to catch him since i hv over 200 ibs of lr in my 110. he is pretty quick tho, so i dont think my lion or eel really has a chance. i hv a damsel in there also for months, and they dont seem to bother it. guess bc i kept them well fed.