2 tangs in 120 gallon?

flipper263

I almost hate to ask a Tang question...but here goes. I have been reading lots on this site about tangs. I have a 120 gallon reef tank with the most beautiful Brown Scopas Tang in it. I was hoping to be able to put a yellow tang in with because I have seen lots of pics of peoples tanks with more than one tang.... But.... I read a post where someone said that even in a 240 gallon it was recommended to only have one tang. I definitely want to do the right thing...and they say to get several opinions so ...let me know what you think, I do not want to get another tang if it or my scopas tang will be stressed.
Currently in the tank I have:
1 Brown Scopas Tang
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty
2 false percs
1 royal gramma
Thanks in advance
flip:jumping:

stacyt

There is no need to be afraid to ask a question, especially when you state that you are looking for info, and want to do what is best for your fish.
To address the question, I don't think that adding another tang would be a good idea. Probably more do to the fact that your existing tang is already established, and adding another tang to his territory may become a problem. There are tricks to prevent territorial problems, such as rearranging the LR, and then adding the tang, before your exisitng tang can establish new territory. Of course this doesn't always work. Also when adding 2 tangs of the same family, normally leads to fighting.
You may be refering to one of my posts, where I stated that I could only keep 1 tang in my 240. This has just been my experience. I kept 3 tangs together for about 2 years, before 1 decided he wanted the tank to hinself, and made quick work of the other 2. I've seen several people keep multiple tangs in smaller tanks, short term, but have yet to see anyone with long term success.
If you want to add another fish to your setup, maybe take a look at some of the fairy wrasse species. They add a lot to a tank, and would probably do well in your setup. Depending on how long the tank has been running, and the amount of liverock, maybe a scooter blenny, or mandarin as well.

flipper263

Thanks StacyT...and I was indeed referring to your posts about the 240 and the 3 tangs It was a very informative post and I for one, thank you. I know that tang questions can spark some heated debates which lead to my caution. Your post has pretty much made my decision but this site says to take several opinions so I thought I would check what other people think.
I have approx 250 lbs of LR and the tank is 3 months old. I won't be adding anything more for a while yet but as I said..the tangs are so awesome but I don't plan on paying $100 (that's canadian dollars)for a fish to die so if it won't work..I won't do it.
Thanks

jlem

I believe that there are alot of factors that could sway your decision. The amount of rock verses swimming area and the lenth of the tank. I always thought that Tangs liked lots of rock work. After spending some time in Guam I realized that the Tangs where always out in the open around the rocks and never really spent much time within the rocks. I think that a 120 that had lots of swimming room vice lots of rock could house 2 tangs. I think that a 6 ft tank is ideal but a friend of mine has a 120 4 ft tank that has lots of swimming room and his 2 tangs do fine. With tangs though you never know. One day one of them may want the whole tank and start kicking the other tangs but.
A brown and yellow tang has similar shapes and attitudes so they may just not get along period.
Hope this helps.

B

bildotang

Actually, I have a yellow tang and a scopas tang. Both were put in my tank at different times (about 1 month apart). They were a little agressive towards eachother at first, and then they stopped. I'm not sure if it's because they were both small, or that I had alot of swimming room. My tank is a 135, which is small than other peoples tanks that have multiple tangs. If you decide to have more than 1 tang, just watch their behavior right from the start, but that's just MO.

flipper263

I do believe I have lots of swimming room for the tang (5ft tank)...my scopas seems to like to swim around the rocks too..and through the caverns. He is a fair sized tang though..he was returned to the lfs by someone who must have had too small a tank for him. I will post a pic of him as soon as I figure out how to make the pic small enough.
Thanks for the replys

chandler04

Personal experience, excpet other way around: I had a yellow tang established, put in a scopas tang. Fist off, scopas arent exactly the best looking fish, but if u say yersis great, then I believe u. Well, the yellow tang was territorial, didnt like the scopas. They wacked each other with their tails for a while. They fought to the death. Scopas won, but died later on due to a power outage and loss of heat, lol. Dont do it, whatever you do. Purple, yellow and scopas all ook the same shape-wise. That't wat really sparx off territorial ----. You can put in other tangs of different sizes and shapes, but a yellow and scopas is a mortal problem, lol. DONT DO IT!!!!

flipper263

Thanks everyone...your advice is very helpful..I will look for some other type of fish to add to my tank when I am ready for another.
Thanks

donmgicwon

Originally posted by Chandler04
Scopas won, but died later on due to a power outage and loss of heat, lol.DONT DO IT!!!!

What did your tank temp. drop to?