2 weeks into the cycle

willcon

im 2 weeksinto the cycle and ive seen no spike in amoonia nitrates or nitrites.
is this normal, i know i should be patient but im a little curious.
Ive put brine shrimp and other food in there along with a lot of fresh shrimp(ammonia source) and no spike!?
The only things i hve in the tank are some hermits and a few mushrooms sponges and feathers that hitchhiked on the rock
could my macro algae be taking in all the amonnia? i used a bunch of live sand from a well established system (same with the lr) could the denirtifying bacteria allready be established?

:help:
Thanks in advace for any input!!

ck_503

just be patient. You're going to waste a lot of money if you just start adding fish or corals before the cycle is done. Mine is at 5 weeks so I'm just now good and ready. Good luck and be patient!

hot883

Originally Posted by WillCon
im 2 weeksinto the cycle and ive seen no spike in amoonia nitrates or nitrites.
is this normal, i know i should be patient but im a little curious.
Ive put brine shrimp and other food in there along with a lot of fresh shrimp(ammonia source) and no spike!?
The only things i hve in the tank are some hermits and a few mushrooms sponges and feathers that hitchhiked on the rock
could my macro algae be taking in all the amonnia? i used a bunch of live sand from a well established system (same with the lr) could the denirtifying bacteria allready be established?

:help:
Thanks in advace for any input!!

Depends on the size of tank, how much LS and LR you added. If the amount was significant then yes you will have some good bacteria in there. Just to be on the safe side please wait atleast 2 more weeks to to be sure. With such a young tank it wouldn't take a lot to overload the bio system.
HTH Good luck and welcome. Barry

robert dri

Will -
Great advise from your fellow Aquarists! I am new to the hobby and have learned a ton from these guys and girls! My tank is two weeks into the cycle....
Grav 1.022
ph 8.2
ammonia .25....coming down from spike
nitrite 5.0....currently spiking
nitrate 15.....just now beginning to show a reading
alk 150
72 gal....60 lbs live rock
wet/dry w/ 780 gph
powerhead w/ 400 gph
lots of algae growth....I'm told that this due to the beginning signs of the nitrates (fertilizer)
Feeding the tank twice a day...(with flakes)
Temp 78.5
Good luck!

acekjd83

Originally Posted by Robert Dri
Will -
Great advise from your fellow Aquarists! I am new to the hobby and have learned a ton from these guys and girls! My tank is two weeks into the cycle....
Grav 1.022
ph 8.2
ammonia .25....coming down from spike
nitrite 5.0....currently spiking
nitrate 15.....just now beginning to show a reading
alk 150
72 gal....60 lbs live rock
wet/dry w/ 780 gph
powerhead w/ 400 gph
lots of algae growth....I'm told that this due to the beginning signs of the nitrates (fertilizer)
Feeding the tank twice a day...(with flakes)
Temp 78.5
Good luck!
right on man, you got it

robert dri

Originally Posted by acekjd83
right on man, you got it

Thanks, Ace! I will tell you this......PATIENCE IS THE KEY! DON'T TRY TO RUSH MOTHER NATURE!

S

sinner's girl

no need to feed the tank once the cycle has started. Just wait. Unless you have creatures in there.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by acekjd83
is it possible your skimmer may be removing the nitrogen before it can be measured?
The skimmer will remove organic waste, but not ammonia.