2 yellow tang

ophiura

There are definitely minimum tank sizes for fish as they will die of stress in smaller tanks. It is our responsibility if we choose to keep fish to provide some minimum level of comfort for the animals, IMO. It means not putting several aggressive fish (multiple yellow tangs) into a small space. It also means not having fish that we don't have room for.
YOu feel your yellow tang is better off in the 75g versus the 29, and you are absolutely right...as are the people who say it would be better in a 125g versus the 75...especially when it grows.
FWIW, I see little difference between a 75g and a 90g, you are right. People saying that are confusing an issue a bit. It is not so much water volume, it is swimming space that is important. A standard 90g is a 4' tank, just like a 75g. "you need 90g" is misleading...what about a 90g corner tank? No, you need a 4' minimum tank to start, followed for long term care with a minumum 6' tank.

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by ophiura
There are definitely minimum tank sizes for fish as they will die of stress in smaller tanks. It is our responsibility if we choose to keep fish to provide some minimum level of comfort for the animals, IMO. It means not putting several aggressive fish (multiple yellow tangs) into a small space. It also means not having fish that we don't have room for.
YOu feel your yellow tang is better off in the 75g versus the 29, and you are absolutely right...as are the people who say it would be better in a 125g versus the 75...especially when it grows.
FWIW, I see little difference between a 75g and a 90g, you are right. People saying that are confusing an issue a bit. It is not so much water volume, it is swimming space that is important. A standard 90g is a 4' tank, just like a 75g. "you need 90g" is misleading...what about a 90g corner tank? No, you need a 4' minimum tank to start, followed for long term care with a minumum 6' tank.

I totally agree. I will only be housing 1 yellow tang too. Thanks for the reply

reeffeer

I will be the first to admit that i have made errors in wanting a fish and buying it with little or no knowledge of its needs. this for all of us should become things of the past. with maturity in the hobby of keeping marine fish we should understand that fish "do okay" in the OCEAN!
now we all aspire to own a public aquarium and 50,000 gallon tanks. i know i do. Having been at this for many years i now know that as much as i aspire to wanting 1000 gal setup my 240 cannot and should not house certain livestock. as for yellow tangs.. their abundance makes them seem an expendable resource that we can cram in a shoe box. and as there are many children around the world it doesnt mean we can stuff them in a box and make them all part of a large circus of acrrobatic freaks for cirque de solie. I love seeing my yellow tangs in my tank but i remember them not "doing ok" in my 90. why? for the same reason a ferrari drives like crap in rush hour traffic. sure it looks great... but it would rahter , and in fact, needs the open road. in saying this as i covet certain livestock i know ill save the satisfaction of having them when i have the appropirate setup. especially multile tangs in one tank.
good luck to all.

ophiura

Originally Posted by reeffeer
I will be the first to admit that i have made errors in wanting a fish and buying it with little or no knowledge of its needs. this for all of us should become things of the past. with maturity in the hobby of keeping marine fish we should understand that fish "do okay" in the OCEAN!
now we all aspire to own a public aquarium and 50,000 gallon tanks. i know i do. Having been at this for many years i now know that as much as i aspire to wanting 1000 gal setup my 240 cannot and should not house certain livestock. as for yellow tangs.. their abundance makes them seem an expendable resource that we can cram in a shoe box. and as there are many children around the world it doesnt mean we can stuff them in a box and make them all part of a large circus of acrrobatic freaks for cirque de solie. I love seeing my yellow tangs in my tank but i remember them not "doing ok" in my 90. why? for the same reason a ferrari drives like crap in rush hour traffic. sure it looks great... but it would rahter , and in fact, needs the open road. in saying this as i covet certain livestock i know ill save the satisfaction of having them when i have the appropirate setup. especially multile tangs in one tank.
good luck to all.
BRAVO! An excellent comparison with the Ferrari as well :D

1journeyman

Originally Posted by nluchau
Well I have a 75 gallon stand almost done and a 75 gallon tank on order. Like it or not the tang will be in a 75 gallon tank with plenty room to swim.
:notsure:
Why post here if you don't want to hear the answer? Obviously you have made your choice.. you aren't going to convince people that you made the correct one.
Marine species vary. Some fish spend their entire lives among the same couple of coral branches. Some travel thousands of miles. As a respectable and mature aquarist it is your obligation and duty to 1: Know what you are buying.
2: Give your pets the proper habitat.
Anything less and you are not an aquarist, you are an animal abuser.
I'm glad you have decided that the tang will have "plenty room to swim". Now all you have to do is convince the unfortunate tang of that.

mumbulog

Originally Posted by nluchau
I totally agree. I will only be housing 1 yellow tang too. Thanks for the reply

I recommend you get the 90 for the extra space all around. The dimensions between a 75 and 90 are the same except the 90 is a bit higher. I have a 75 and a 90 and I like the 90 so much better for the extra display space and it looks huge compared to the shorter 75. You think wow 15 gallons or a few inches big deal, it is a noticeable difference.Also the price difference is so little. You could even do a 110 on that stand. I feel you would be happier with the 90, it'll look much nicer. JUst my expereince. Good luck with the new tank!

schadiest1

2 yellow tangs not good unless they are introduced together. as far as tank size.... they will only grow as big as their habitat allows them. tank raised fish do not usually get as large as in the wild.

texasex

I have to disagree with Schadiest1, it is a fallacy that the fish will only grow to the size of the tank. (And who wants a sick fish?) I currently have a 5 inch goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank (he is to be moved soon). My point is, as long as it is healthy, it will grow! I know I complain all of the time about people putting tangs in small tanks, but come on, why would you want to punish the poor creature?! That is what you are doing by not giving it what it physically needs. It's like having a coral and never putting the proper nutrients in the tank. It may survive for awhile, but it will never thrive or be happy, and it will eventually get sick and die. I am sorry for being one who always says, "NO, NO, NO!" on the tang thing, but people try to be a little human!

schadiest1

wow, texasex, you have a gold fish? that's awesome!!! :rolleyes: but you should really move that fish to a bigger tank and then come talk to us. practice what you preach.

jer4916

i sooooo just got the coolest freaking 125 gallon tank, my fish have TONS of room to swim (will soon, i have to set it up) :) ...its a clear for life acrillic tank...sexy oak base sexy oak canopy,....30 gallon refuguim....wow...im so excited to have it up and running

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Schadiest1
... they will only grow as big as their habitat allows them. tank raised fish do not usually get as large as in the wild.
That's false.

texasex

Goldfish don't die when they don't have a big enough tank! They don't need the room like a tang does!

lion_crazz

Okay, you are both (Texasex and Schadiest1) wrong in this situation, so why don't we just all agree not to argue.
Texasex, you are wrong for preaching about aquarium size when you use the example of your five inch goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank. That is an extremely small tank for a goldfish to be, not only because of how big the goldfish is, but because of the waste they produce. I know you said he is moving into a bigger tank soon, but even if you did not have the money for a large tank right now, you could at least move him into a 10 gallon tank to give him a little more room. Most places sell 2.5, 5, and 10 gallon AGA for the same price, and it would just be a couple more dollars for a little bit larger of a filter.
Schadiest1, you are wrong in both of the statements you made about tank size. Fish will not only grow as large as thier habitat allows them, and tank raised fish get just as large as their wild counterparts. I have raised several tank raised fish to be the around the same size that they "supposedly" grow in the wild.
I am not trying to point out wrongs; we are all wrong sometimes, I am just trying to get us all on the same page. There's no reason to fight.

greatfullreefer

Originally Posted by vtecbro007
i know someone thats keeping 8 tangs in a 90 his had them for over 2 yrs,....

Hardly a success story, do you have any idea how long Tangs live? :)

1journeyman

Originally Posted by vtecbro007
i know someone thats keeping 8 tangs in a 90 his had them for over 2 yrs,....
Well, that's the subject of another discussion. I know of someone who kept 27 cats in their house... doesn't make it right.