20 gal reef tank

villagesurf16

i just had a few question about starting my new 20 gallon reef? ive never done a reef tank before, this is my first one. im useing the new coral life power compacts for lighting. as for filtration im going to use a prizm skimmer, mini bio wheel, and about 10 to 15 pounds of lr. how shouldi cycle it? is it any different than a fish only. i have no clue really, like i said this is my first reef any responses are much apreciated from you guys that do reef tanks.

overanalyzer

first - welcome to the board.
Second I cycled my 20 using LR and a piece (very small) of raw shrimp.
Third - how powerful are those PC lights??
Fourth - I don't use a skimmer so I can't say one way or the other - I'll let someone talk about that.
Fifth - Biowheel - I would take off the biowheels and use it for water motion and a place to run carbon and other filters. Could be a nitrate issue - though I've never had that problem others have that I know well.
Sixth - I'd add a wee bit of base rock - I have 10 pounds of LR and 15 pounds of base rock in my tank now.....

villagesurf16

thats what i was planning to do with my base rock from my old 75 thats i tore down 3 months ago. the pc puts out about 95 watts i think ill find out for sure but that sounds right. its a total of 4 bulbs but 2 ficstures.it has the down control being the atinic then you switch on the whites. so just drop the live rock in first with maybe some cycleing flued like fritz zyme. if i get a skimmer when should i start running it? after the tank is all cycled out.what type of corals/anemones do you guys suggest.

overanalyzer

I would not use any thing like a start culture - I would just go to the grocery store and get a small raw shrimp. Watch the butchers face as you ask for 1 - no not 1 pound just one shrimp.
Don't run the skimmer until after the full cycle is complete - then crank it up!
Corals? Mushrooms, polyps, zooanthids, xenia ..... start slowly .... get used to taking care of a nano then start adding the corals .....

villagesurf16

thanks alot for your help. i just checked on the lighting they put out 150 watts. are any clams or brain corals easy to keep. i see alot of that sort of thing at my local fish store. so could i keep clams and brains or are they to difficult. also what other inverts do you suggest shrimps, feather dusters, anemones?

broncofish

I'll add a little bit, no wheel I hade trate issues. I use one on my 29g to run carbon. The Prizm is an awesome skimmer for little tanks, I would say it will do a good job on your Nano.