20 Gal Zero Edge Nano Reef for My Office

philiposu

I am setting up a Zero Edge 20 gallon flex series tank in my new office. I am having our company's cabinet shop build my desk to accommodate the tank, custom sump, and a custom RODI top off tank, both of which I am in to process of building.
Here is the Zero Edge rendering of the tank. I believe that is still about 3 weeks lead time from Zero Edge.

Here is my CAD design of the sump I started building today. This is actually my first acrylic project, but so far it seems to be going very well. All I have left is installing the bottom and top of the sump and then adding the auto top off float so long as my welded joints hold water. The total sump height is 14.5 inches and has a water volume of 17 Gallons. It is designed with 3 chambers; Skimmer, Refugium, and Return. The skimmer chamber is designed for the AquaC Urchin and will also hold a small amount of live rubble rock. The refugium if 9.5 Gallons and I will be trying to push 20-25 times this volume an hour through this. The return chamber will have the RODI auto top off and the recommended Mag 9.5 return pump to the tank. The RODI tank I am going to be building will probably hold about 7-9 gallons of water which I figure will cove roughly a week of evaporation. I will have pictures of my sump progress tomorrow.

philiposu

Here is the non-dimensioned CAD floor plan of the office the orange squares on the right is the tank and overflow tray. The sump will be mounted in the cabinet directly below the tank, and the RODI storage tank will be under the hinged liftable countertop in the corner between the tank and the side loading file cabinet.

Here is a CAD plans showing an elevation of the desk's backwrap. The tank is on the left in orange.

philiposu

Here are 2 views of the top of the sump. Between the refugium and the return pump chamber there are teeth to ensure no macro algae makes it way into the return chamber. This was actually a very quick and easy to accomplish by using the table saw fence and the router table. I think it only took me about 10 minutes including the setup.

Here are 2 pictures of the bottom of the sump. The second is a close up of the skimmer chamber and bubble trap separating it from the return camber.

poop_head

Thats a pretty cool looking sump/fuge system. I'm sure the DT will look nice in your office, and be a nice distraction.