20 gallon aquarium stand. Metal or wood?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Either wood or metal are fine if properly coated. It really depends on the style you are going for.

lmforbis

That is mostly a choice based on aesthetics. I personally prefer wood, I build my own stands because my Tanks have been very large and I prefer them to be taller than the typical store bought stand.
Things I’d consider in my choice if I were to buy one, beyond liking the way it looks, include are materials used and build quality. I’d look for plywood or solid wood, no fiberboard. With metal I’m not a fan of the cheap one that screw together like you’d find at Pet Co or Petsmart. They look and feel flimsy and salt water causes rust. I had a wrought iron stand that was amazing and it was so heavy duty the little bit of rust didn’t compromise structure.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I have an all aluminum stand for a 20 gallon that's my favorite. I had it built almost 20 years ago and it's just like it was the day I picked it up. If you can afford it, powder coated aluminum is probably the best stand material I've ever used. It's strong, light weight and looks amazing.