20 GALLON CLOWN FISH TANK ADVICE NEEDED!!

loveclown1989

Hello, always loved clown fish!! I'm new to saltwater I want to start up a tank that will not fail, that one clown fish would be really happy in, doing research says no smaller than 20 gallons with that said here is what I've purchased so far... 25 pounds of live sand, 25 pounds live rock, nano powerhead, 20 gallon starter kit, 100 watt heater, 50 pounds of instant ocean salt mix, hydrometer, API saltwater master test kit, I'd like to know of anything else I will need to buy do I have to do a sump on a 20 gallon fish only live rock saltwater tank? Or will HOB be just fine? Does this setup sound alright? I need all advice I can get!! Thanks!

snakeblitz33

Your setup is fine for a FOWLR tank, in my honest opinion. The reason why people add sumps is to get rid of the look of equipment in their display tanks, but if your only goal is to keep clownfish alive, then there shouldn't be any issues.

I would personally put two more things on your list. The first is a true marine aquarium light - something cheap in the LED category. This will give you better, "true" colors of your fish and provide more enjoyment. The second thing I would put on your list is a good book, like "The conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. It's an oldie but a goldie and can be found cheaply online. Another resource you need to look into is reading some guides here on this forum so that you can get a better understanding of how to properly cycle a new marine aquarium to prepare it for new livestock.

Also, keep in mind that there are MANY different kinds of clownfish out there, so pick one species and pair them up while they are still juveniles, or else they will not get along in a small tank. Some clownfish grow pretty big, like cinnamon, tomatoes, and maroons, so be prepared to upgrade of those species of clownfish are your favorites.

loveclown1989

Thanks so much for the advice... I know that I'd like to keep the hood on the tank but I agree with what your saying on the lighting do you have any recommendations for the lighting?

snakeblitz33

A cheap marineland FOWLR light would be an inexpensive option. However, keep in mind that those units are not able to keep corals alive.

If you prefer a top, take some egg crate (they sell it at Home Depot as a light diffuser) and cut it to fit the top of your tank. It usually comes in white, so what I like to do is spray paint it with black rustoleum paint to make it less noticeable. That way, you have a top on the tank that the fish can't jump through AND your not limiting gas exchange and decreasing your pH.

As it sits now, your top on your tank is causing a lot of carbon dioxide buildup and it is preventing the offgassing of CO2. In that case, carbolic acid is made in your tanks water column which in turn lowers the pH of the water. Keeping a consistent pH in your water column is very important to the long term health of your tank.

beaslbob

I always recommend you look into macro algaes to balance out and stabilize the system.
With a FOWLR system you might be able to use inexpensive twistie 6500k type bulbs from building supply stores/wall mart. For smaller systems I just put them in roung clip on reflectors and set them on egg crate.
but that's just my .02

clink51

I kept my hood on but i removed the back snap ins (for the filter wires etc) and filled that with egg crate. and where the light goes, i removed the glass entirely (which will have silicon and suff on it) and left it open. From there, my 2 t5 bulbs sit above it and are no obstructed. kinda the best of both worlds and worth a try for you.

get yourself a dual t5 bulb fixture. there are usually cheap and will add pop to the tank. no worries about higher end stuff yet until your moving to corals and stuff, this is the route im taking =)