20 gallon reef tank about 6 months old... suggestions?

patricknco

Hi. First time poster here. I started my tank a little over 6 months. 20 gal half moon glass. I've got a protein skimmer and filters and powerheads.. it's a clutter. And suggestions for did sump/refugiums?

snakeblitz33

it would be difficult to fit a sump underneath a 20g half moon tank, but you could conceivably fit one beside the stand in a cabinet. i'd recommend a 20g high sump and go with a cadlights pipeless protein skimmer and a small auto top off system. you can plumb it all together using an eshopps nano 300gph external overflow and a mag drive 3 pump - or a quiet one pump with a similar gph rating. id recommend going with pvc plumbing if at all possible.

keep reading and researching. there are many other options out there - and probably the most simple is to keep the filtration that you have and change out the lights and start doing more water changes. small tanks still need a little love and attention every now and then and a weekly water change might be all that is needed.

when you do a water change, try to remove as much of the detritus out of the system as possible. stir it up with a small powerhead or even a turkey baster so that you can siphon the majority of it out of the system.

if you could, give us a list of your current equipment and maybe we can judge whether you need to go through all of that trouble or not.

patricknco

Thank you! That is a lot of good info. I have pieced my tank together. I'll attach photos of the tank to help get a better idea of what I have.

grant778

I probably wouldn't worry about putting in a sump. I have a similar situation and though my tank is not as pleasant to look at from one side due to the equipment hanging off the back (its a peninsula set up), I think urs looks fine with the equipment since it is against a wall. And is that a rabbit fish in there? They need a much bigger tank.

patricknco

Good eye! The foxface has grown. A friend of mine had small ones so he gave me one and he's getting big I know. He's just so friendly, been there since the beginning. Hardy little guy too. Here's the experimental sump/refugium I'm working on. I know it's small, but I'm down for experimenting.