2000 Gallon Project has begun...

dragonboy

I think for something this size you should get solar panel's for the house to conserve energy. But then again with all equipment there isn't really much a way to go around it. How big will the sump be?

aquaobsess

LOL...
Not sure what you pay for electricity where you are...it is much cheaper here in Canada. Costs will not even come close to $800.00/month. :)

diadema

Average cost of electricity in Canada is about 22% lower than the US.
So - $800US * 0.78 = $624
Exchange rate is 1.27 per US$
So $624US * 1.27 = $792.48 Canadian
You were saying? ;)

aquaobsess

Thanks for the heads up. Fact is we obviously pay alot less than you guys do for hydro. I have done numerous electrical calculators and the totals are much less. I currently am running 5 pumps, 7 heaters, and 1500 watts of light regularly on my coral system and my hydro has only increased about $100/month. My nes system will not require more than 7 times this electricity. IMO it will not be more than 3 times.
I do like SPS corals but will only be keeping them in the middle portion of the tank. This way I can go with 250's around the perimeter and 400's in the middle.

diadema

I guess it really depends on your cost per KW>...
And how crazy you wanna get on your lighting.
Thinking about it - 250W DE's and skipping the surge you could do allright...
Either way - I'm jealous.. :) Should be fun.

aquaobsess

Thanks!
I realize the costs will be high. But being in the business if I cant afford $500 a month on a tank than whats the point...
Lighting- Im thinking 4 x 400w DE in the middle and 4 x 250 DE on the perimeter. I will try this setup first and see my coverage. If needed I will add another 2 or 4 DE 250 or 400.
Pumps- Im looking at all sequences.
1 x Sequence 1000- 5800 skimmer
3 x hammerhead- closed loops
1 x hammerhead sump return

ck_503

man that would suck to go through all that and 1) either get tired of it down the road or 2) imagine losing everything in your tank due to a spike in your chemicals on that massive of a scale. Too risky.

aquaobsess

While I agree it would suck to get tired of the tank...I really dont see that happening :)
IMO while it is a huge risk to invest such a large amount of money in a system...I am taking every precaution. Also as we know a huge system like this is much more capable and stable of handling such issues as poisoning or whatever. We all have dreams I guess and we tank the necessary risks to achieve them.

aquaobsess

Equipment list so far....So much more to buyAquariums-
Aquarium Obsessed Custom Diamante Low Iron Glass- 126x72x32
2 x AO Custom Starphire Frag tanks- 48x30x16
AO Custom Starphire Fish Quarantine Tank
Humidity and Air Control-

HRV System- Lifebreath 200 Max
Split A/C System- LG 2 tonne
Fantech 900 CFM wall mount exhaust fan
70 Pint De- Humidifier
Aquarium Controller-

Aquatronica Aquarium Controller System
PH Probe
Orp Probe
Water level sensor
Temperature Probe
Water Movement-

3 x Sequence Hammerhead- Closed Loops
1 x Sequence 1000- 4300 GPH- Sump Return
2 x OM 4 way
Heaters-

2 x Won Brothers 1000 watt
Water-

2 x 100 GPD RO/DI
Skimmer-

MR-C8472- 72" high- 5000 gallon rated
1 x Sequence 1000- 5800 GPH
Top Up-

Tunze Osmolator
Reactors-

Geo's Reef Custom Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor
Geos Carbon Reactor
Geo's Phosphate Reactor
Lots more I have to buy and likely lots I forgot

aquaobsess

I am a huge Acropora fan so I will have some of these in the middle.
Mixed other corals and fish:
Chromis
Tangs
Anthias
Clowns
Plates
Bubbles
Mixed LPS + SPS
Still have not really made a final list just want to get the tank flowing water :)
I want to build my sumps out of plywood and epoxy. What type epoxy (brand) and paint (brand) should I use? Where do they sell it?
thanks

E

eaglefan

AquaObsess the posts have got me very excited on seeing your project done, I can't wait. Steve West would be a great person to get a hold of. His 900 gallon tank is unreal and his web site gives you great info.

tthemadd1

Man this tank is going to be incredible.. i wonder if my landlord would mind me putting one on the second floor of the apartment. ...... Good luck with all the work, upkeep... i m sure it will be worth it.

jer4916

What are the total prices your looking at for this whole project?
my 125 gallon is costing me around $10k and im doing it properly and buying all my parts/lights/ro/reactors/...rock...etc
~chris