20g nano (another lighting question)

brandan

So I just got my 20gal tank setup and I am still trying to debate what kind of lighting I want to go with. The problem is I would like to avoid a chiller and Im not sure which lighting is going to cross the line as far as heat goes. I would like to do corals, maybe a clown and an anenome. I was thinking 4watts per gallon, so that comes out to 80wts. The closest is 96 compact that I know of (which is what I have been looking at), but like I said I would like to avoid spending the $300 on a chiller. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Im open for anything. . . Thanks

fedukeford

Watts per gallon rule dosen't work. 50 watts of MH is a ton better than 100 watts of PC. IMO you should get one of those sunpaq (i think thats the brand) MH clip on lights, since you want an anemone, and if you keep it high enough off the water you should have no need for a chiller.
Feduke

brandan

As far as wattage goes, anyone eles have any recommendations? PC or MH? Thanks fedukeford, I also dont want to spend $200 on lights for a 20g if at all possible. I was looking at what I think you are talking about its the SunPaq Quad Lamp Retrofit Kit, I found it for $76 in an 18" 96wt and Im building a canopy anyways, so I will just mount it inside there. Anyone eles have an opinion.

For a 20 long, you could easily get away with a nice 24" T-5 set up. It will likely cost less than $200 and give you a lot of light with very little heat.

brandan

Does anyone else have any coments on the SunPaq Quad Lamp Retrofit Kit, its only $80 and it seems like a good bang for the buck. . .