20L Filtration

mythrenody

Just wondering what would be the best option for a 20L? All Biofiltration,Skimmer,HOB? I'm think about setting up a 10g refugium maybe.

zanoshanox

I would go for as much as possible...You want biological fitlration...(LR), and you want strong mechanical filtration...you HOB/canister and skimmer are your mechanical filtration. You want a little of all kinds.

nanoreef

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
I would go for as much as possible...You want biological fitlration...(LR), and you want strong mechanical filtration...you HOB/canister and skimmer are your mechanical filtration. You want a little of all kinds.

You want biological fitlration...(LR) Yes
want strong mechanical filtration...you HOB/canister NO
, all this does is create nitrates, it does nothing. IMO all you need is lots of LR and LS for your bio filter and a good skimmer.
-trust me dont bother with the mechanical filter

Cheers

Brad

jhebi

Originally Posted by nanoreef
You want biological fitlration...(LR) Yes
want strong mechanical filtration...you HOB/canister NO
, all this does is create nitrates, it does nothing. IMO all you need is lots of LR and LS for your bio filter and a good skimmer.
-trust me dont bother with the mechanical filter

Cheers

Brad

I disagree.....HOB don't create nitrates, if you know how to use them.....IMO lots of people sometimes they don't have the means to spend more on what they need.....A HOB filter would be fine as long your water parameters are almost perfect......I have a 20gl at work and I just run a HOB skilter with a modded skimmer inside and on the left chamber I used as a mini refugium with RR,LS and chaeto...Agree that I have some biological filtration, but also it is combine with mechanical......My tank is healty and been set up for almost 7months with no problems.....There is a thread that shows my tank, the only thing I do is change water 2 times a week.....Good Luck

mythrenody

Jehbi,Seen the thread and love your tank!
I was thinking of buying a HOB filter and turning it into a refugium,was thinking of making a 10g refugium but don't feel like bothering with the plumbing,Even though it wouldnt be much,lol. I agree with you on the Nitrate HOB thing,I have the biowheel on my 55g and i have no problems with Nitrates,Just have to change the media every 2 weeks!

mythrenody

It's a 20 Long right? Do you know the length of it? I've measure it and it was like 25-26". Just want to make sure so i order the right fixture.