210 Aggresive reef?

stw280

I have been running an aggresive setup in my 210 gallon for a few months now and I just received some mushroom polyps from a friend and added them and a large rose bubble tip anenome. My concern would be my bioload I have a medium blue spot grouper, a medium volitan lion fish, and a large blue hippo tang. I am adding 5 yellow tangs this week. That will probable do it for fish. But I would like to slowly try and add some more corals. I just got a new metal halide light setup and I've got plenty of watts. Is the bioload going to present a problem with the corals. Thanks alot.

A

andretti

I wouldn't worry about your corals; usually agressive fish & reefs don't go together. Mixing lions and tangs????????? :notsure: :notsure: sound a little scarry to me :scared: , but that's just my opinion. As far as your bio-load goes, it depends on how much live rock/sand you have.

f1shman

I'm new to reef tanks, but from what I know so far, I don't think corals have much bioload. There like plants, fit as many as you can safely to make it look like a "garden" lol

E

exile415

I have not heard of a reef safe grouper or lion .. your hipppo will be fine in the reef , I'm not too sure about the grouper and lion. Also your 5 yellow tangs won't be added all in one day right. you should add to many fish at one time.

stw280

I was wondering about the bio load from the fish not the corals, I won't be keeping small fish and inverts so I'm not concerned about those fish being "reef safe" as long as they don't eat corals. I have about 150 lbs live sand and 125 lbs of live rock. I'm adding more rock soon. As for the yellow tangs, I was told I should add them at the same time. I'm really just concerned if I can keep these fish in a 210 and all the waste they create, with corals. Thanks for the replys.

E

exile415

what kind of filtration are you running ? 5yellow tangs,1 medium sized v line and a grouper right. i think it should be fine for a 210. your LR,LS wil help a lot

E

exile415

IMO i wouldnt feel safe with 2 very aggresive fish in a reef. If you plan to keep the lion and the grouper with the reef tank. You need extreme caution,they might eat your corals.
if a fish isnt reef safe it either eats corals or does soemthing with it that's not good for the coral/anemone. it's pretty much just do you want reef or aggressive. you won't be able to have a clean up crew in that tank. it will eat crusteceans !!

E

exile415

It sounds good 2 hang on skimmers. Do you know the brand ? If I were you I would be scared of the bioballs actually. they can become nitrate factories. You can probably replace it with LR. you can make it a fuge too. I think your tank will have no problems having the the hippo and the 5 yellow tangs. you will have to get rid of the grouper and lion if you want a reef. I am just starting my reef and you need to buy a good amount of additives for your reef. it'll pay off though. :joy:
good luck
-Eric

the reef

I would be more woried about how much live rock you have before adding coarls and only add the live rock before you add the coarls should have between one up to two pounds of live rock so you will need at least 210 pounds of live rock and a better amout would be 250 pounds of live rock you want the bio load on the rock to defenitly outnumber your coral capacity so that your live rock can handel your fish waist. If you dont your corals could suficate on the lack of bio load taking in nitrate and to much phosphate isent good for coarls as well pluss to much waist and not enough bio load could feed unwanted algea that can also choak your corals.
so just remember you need enough bio load and high quality watter to handel the coarls

ophiura

There are not specific issues with a grouper and a lion, or tangs, with corals per se. They may eat shrimp and such however. The reason they tend not to go in reefs is, as mentioned, due to bioload. Reef tanks, due to the need for very good water quality (esp lower nitrates) tend to have low bioload relative to the biological capacity of the tank. Predatory fish are big often messy eaters and this tends to negatively impact water quality. So the primary problem as I see it will be keeping good water quality. IMO, trying to do both tends to mean you don't get the best of either.
Tangs and lionfish are compatible obviously if the tangs are of decent size.