210gal riddled with aiptasia,Help!!!

nazz13

I had a friend ask me to help clear aiptasia from a 210gal tank,theres aiptasia on every inch of every rock in the tank.What am i supposed to do with this anyone have any suggestions that might help????

granny

Yep, peppermint shrimp are great and they are not expensive, as long as you dont have any predator type fish in there to make a meal of them.
There are things you can squirt on them, Joes juice, lemon juice, but you cant use too much of it. These things spread pretty rapidly if you dont control them at the first sigting.
IF there is nothing he wants to save on any of the rock, you can simply remove each rock and soak it in fresh water for a while or just let the rock dry out, then clean it up and put it back in the tank.

maxalmon

For a tank that size and if it's infested the way you say,.....I'd just startover, yank all the LR out, dip in FW, not soak, but dip then scrub the heck out of it and then rinse with SW.....You could also invest in Berghia Nudibrachs, the only nudi that has a specific diet of aptasia, it's the only thing they eat, would take a while but might work

granny

A quick dip wont work, these thigns are tough. I purchased a piece of LF from my LFS that had aiptasia on it, just because I loved the shape of the rock.
I dipped it first in ro water and it didnt faze the little suckers, so I soaked it for about an hour. Some of them still survived, so I squirted the entire rock with HOT tap water, then let it dry out. There wasnt anything decent on the rock, the coraline did survive and I placed it in my tank. My BTA loves this rock and has made it its home.

maxalmon

Problem is that if you soak the LR in FW you pretty much kill the LR and all the critters inside, thats why I would simply dip, then scrub, then rinse and back into the tank and then add the predators

nazz13

There are 2 very large worm gobies in the tank that will eat peppermints.If i remove rock and let dry out and put back in wont this effect nirogen cycle???

wangotango

Originally Posted by nazz13
http:///forum/post/2486619
There are 2 very large worm gobies in the tank that will eat peppermints.If i remove rock and let dry out and put back in wont this effect nirogen cycle???
Never heard of worm gobies, or any gobies being a problem with shrimp.
Yes, if you leave the rock out and let it dry out, the stuff growing on the rock will die, and will probably cause another cycle if it is reintroduced into the tank.
Berghia nudibranches are very expensive and only really work if you have a large number of them. IMO get what you can with Joe's Juice and add a mess of peppermints.
Ever thought of a copper-banded butterfly? Not always a guarantee but might be worth a try.
-Justin

apos

I've heard that peppermints can go after corals after they run out of aiptasia: true? Also, won't their eating just spread the suckers? Any bits left on these guys just spawns more baddies...

cabin7882

I am having the same problem big time!! I only have a 46 gal but I have a lot of feather dusters on my LR they I don't want to kill! the aptasia are getting so big it's crazy! I didn't know what they were when I got the peice of LR. then found out when it was a lil too late!
We did joe's juice and it worked but then they just came back and went crazy! But they are on the glass, empty shells and on the sand they are every where! ugh I do not want to start over that is crazy! Oh but for some reason I can't keep shrimp?? I have an ornate goby that may bother them but I am not sure no one really knows much about this fish? so everytime I get a shrimp they are dead inless then a day or 2?

nazz13

Worm gobies, also called convict or engineer goby these 2 are very large you dont think they will eat peppermints???,well i guess there isnt going to be an easy fix for this.

bird dog

I have a 210 Reef and 1 Copperband Butterfly for this reason.
I will tell you this guy is better than anything else for sure and you won't even have to feed him.
At this site for 29.99 you problem is solved for good.
The Copperband Butterfly will hunt then down and eat ever single one of them.
He will even eat the ones you can't see hiding deep
and not mess with your reef.

It is also a great looking fish