$22.00 trigger snack

portugee

Well I posted earlier that I introduced a cleaner wrasse. The next morning he was gone. Then showed himself again for one day. Then disapeared again for two days. Well I come home yesterday and I notice my triggers are so fat in the belly they could barely swim and fish bits in the tank.
Hmm. I wonder where that cleaner wrasse went? :rolleyes:

fmarini

well I've never seen a cleaner wrasse big enuf to make a puffers belly stick out, so I'll bite....where did the cleaner wrasses go?

portugee

jwtrojan44,
Yeah you told me so. :D
To bad the knowledgable and wise people at the lfs dont disclose these things. It seems they have almost no conflicts with fish species in the world they live in.
Anyway it sounded like a good idea at the time.

iechy

I thought other fish knew that they were beneficial and wouldn't eat them. i saw footage on TV about them and they even had one cleaning the inside of a big grouper's mouth and he just held it open and didn't eat it. Is it because he was introduced after the trigger so it just assumed it was feeding time?

portugee

I think cleaner wrasses live at cleaner stations were fish can choose to go for a service. However having one contained in 90 gallons subjects the other fish to living at a cleaner station 100% of the time, which becomes annoying.
Trigger dont like to be annoyed and they have big teeth.
Is'nt hind-sight wonderful.
Anyway, I thought the same thing that the fish would leave him alone because somehow they knew he was a benefit. In a less aggresive tank I'm sure they have better odds but they are listed as restricted species because of difficulty getting to eat.
Mine ate the one feeding he was alive for, so I guess I had a good one.

iechy

Live and learn huh? (for you, not the cleaner)
Would eating a cleaner wrasse be similar to getting a colonic for a trigger? I bet he feels nice and refreshed now;)