220 gallon FOWLR Build

ThewaterDen

Ok, so i just posted an intro and i figured why not get this build thread started. Which includes putting the tank togethor, stand, all equipt amd plumbing. This isnt gonna be too fast pace of a build. Im hoping to have water in this and cycling by june 1st, or atleast thats the target date...
Im starting with a standard 220 gallon tank, 72x24x30..yeah i know a bunch of people feel a 30" tall tank is too deep to work with but its what i like. I grabbed this tank for 50.00 of a market place add, it has a broken front panel. Grabbed the tank, brought it home and got it torn apart. Trim rings were broken in several places and as said broken front panel. Already ordered the panel so just a waiting game now. Tomorow i plan on building the stand, or atleast getting it started so i have a place to get the glass cleaned up and ready to be reassembled. The trim rings will have to be made either out of marine grade aluminum or milled outta rock maple. Have not made a final decision yet as far as that goes.
As far as a stock list goes, im.pretty much set on larger fish. Angels, tangs, triggers and so on..i know some of you will feel this is too small a tank for tye stock.list, but this is only for a grow out stage. Something 3 to 4x's this tank size is in the works for the final home. I figure i can buy small and let.em grow, giving me a year or so to get the "beast" inhouse, and setup and running.
This pic is of the torn apart tank, and the official starting place for this new adventure. I hope yall with find this interesting and ofcourse plesse throw in your two cents on all matters. This is gonna be a learning experience for me as far as equiptment will go, as well as keeping water parameters in check.
Once again thanks.for your time and your input
Ken
The water Den
20180408_174518-200x200.jpg

ThewaterDen

Quick update, figuring some stuff out with the stand, what i can get away with sump wise yada yada. Ill do a better update tomorow with netter pics
20180416_205918-2016x1512.jpg

ThewaterDen

If u want the sump under the tank, remb that when building the stand. You need room for it
Im gonna have a couple if not all the front suppprts removable, planning on a fairly big sump, i tend to keep heavily stocked tanks and feed accodingly, so.lot of biological media in the sump

ThewaterDen

As far as somemof the sump details....no filter socks!!! Going with either 2 pf the thieling roller mats or 2 of the Klir d4's. Id prefer the Klir if theu get them.released soon enough. If not the thielings will work. A large refugium area, protien skimmer and some fast and low flow biological spaces for mediapure blocks

ThewaterDen

I have to make a choice on the roller mats soon, so i can start desifning the sump. Wanna get the main box ordered from the glass company. I also have to choose a protien skimmer, something way oversized for the fosh5load im planning. Need to get that nailed down for sumo design as well. All.in good time no rush. As long as the tank has water by late summer, early fall. Originally wanted water by june, just doesnt seem realistic

lmforbis

You need space above the sump as well. Big skimmers are tall. I build my stands around 38 inches tall. Easier to view standing. For a large tank I’d use at least 2 x 6 for the top support especially if you want to be able to remove the supports. A 220 is damn heavy and you don’t want bowing of the structure.

ThewaterDen

My stands are 36 from floor to top of stand. Pretty much all my tanks are 30 tall, its what i like viewing panel wise. Have between 28 and 30" of usable height under the stand. I want to be able to hold atleast 13 or 14" in the sump in case of power outage, and somewhere between 7 and 10" of water in the skimmer section while running. If i go with a 16" tall sump, i will have enough room for the thieling roller mat on top, they require 10" above the sump. Should leavr me.more than enough room to tilt and drop in a large skimmer.
Yall have any reccomendations for a large skimmer? I would lile something rated for atleast 300 gallpns with a heavy load on the tank. And thats a minimum. Thanks in advance for any advice

mr. limpid

Just a suggestion, you may want to remove the center support so you can take equipment and the sump in and out of the stand. You can support the center buy adding 2x4 at each of the four center vertical supports and move the top bracing over them. Then add a top horizontal in the middle with two more vertical supports. Sound s like over kill but better safe than sorry. See quick sketch.

Attachments

ThewaterDen

Progress on the stand, lil plywood tomorow and its done other than paint and facade. If i leave the center support in, and remove one on either side ill be able to get crap in and out..ill be able to fit a 48x20x16 plus a good sized tank for ATO. Or do 2 36x20x16 sumps? Is it too much BS to have 2 sumps under there connected via bulkheads?? Id be able get both in and out, and also have a larger total water volume. Whats everyones thoughts on this
20180417_201228-2016x1512.jpg

ThewaterDen

Just a suggestion, you may want to remove the center support so you can take equipment and the sump in and out of the stand. You can support the center buy adding 2x4 at each of the four center vertical supports and move the top bracing over them. Then add a top horizontal in the middle with two more vertical supports. Sound s like over kill but better safe than sorry. See quick sketch.
Thanks for takin the time to make that drawingthe only issue id have with doing that is the extra supports in the center of the stand would cut my space into thirds correct? Only leaving me with 27" in length in each section, makinga sump.pretty small

mr. limpid

No problem, always to help others so they don't go through the problems I did. I also painted the bottom of my stand with a water proof two part system. This will help protect the wood from moisture and future water spills. Are you planning to lay plywood on top? This wood help to level the tank. I laid a layer of 1/4" polystyrene under tank to allow for any imperfections. It hard to see in picture but its under the tank, couldn't find a picture of the stuff came in a roll about 8" wide.

Attachments

ThewaterDen

Ok heres the stand all wrapped up and ready for some paint just to seal things up. Now the slow part of things is next up, cleaning and prepping all the glass for reassembly. Stay tuned for.more pics and updates as time goes by
20180419_163222-2016x1512.jpg