220 just sitting there?!?!?!?!?

E

eric b 125

so i went to a store around here and they have a bunch of junk fish tanks sitting outside, free for the taking. thing is: it has two sets of four holes drilled into the bottom glass. im assuming this was for freshwater applications. i was thinking that i could get a tempered glass sheet, and set it over these holes, and just silicone it in? also, i think if this worked, that this tank would be a good way to learn to see if i have it in me to drill glass? there are no overflows, so i'd be able to try to drill the back glass to put one in? any ideas?

E

eric b 125

after a 2 minute string of thoughts, ive decided this is a poor idea. unless there are overflows that are built for tanks drilled like this, then i dont want to waste my time.

pumper

Where exactly are the holes located? If they are in the corners you can put standpipes and returns on them and use it...
10 - 1¼ PVC end-cap with vent hole.
9 - Connector made of 1¼ PVC. Glue to Tee, teflon taped top for snug fit with End-Cap.
8 - 1¼ PVC Street-Ell. Trim the connector for a compact design to help fit into smaller overflow chambers. Glued into Tee fitting. This is the water intake for the standpipe. Water level would be expected to be around the middle of this fitting.
7 - 1¼ PVC Tee. Do not glue this onto the standpipe. Use teflon tape on the standpipe for a snug fit. This allows it to be removed for height adjustment or maintenance.
6 - 1¼ PVC Pipe. Sized long enough to get the end-cap just about equal to the rim of the display tank.
5 - 1¼ PVC Coupling. The stand pipe and reducer bushing are glued to this part.
4 - 1¼ to 1 inch reducer bushing.
3 - Connector made of 1 inch PVC. This should be glued into the reducer bushing. If you have a slip bulkhead, this inserts directly into the bulkhead — use teflon tape for snug fit.
2 - OPTIONAL: 1 Inch PVC Male adapter - only needed on threaded bulkheads. You may want to attach to connector with teflon tape to allow for a quick yank removal from bulkhead. Use teflon tape on threads before inserting into bulkhead.
1 - Bulkhead. The opening at the bottom of your overflow chamber to allow water to drain out to the sump. This drawing shows a threaded bulkhead.

E

eric b 125

i'm sorry, i guess it would have helped to say that the 8 holes are in two groups of four, and they are in the middle of the bottom glass.

E

eric b 125

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/2933299
Being free, I would definnetly try to find a use for it.

yeah, i hear what your saying, but i dont want to 'fix' this thing to save a couple bucks, only to have a catastrophic failure in it and kill everything down the road.

pumper

Another option is to have a glass shop replace the bottom. Might cost 100.00 but it may be worth it.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by Pumper
http:///forum/post/2933400
Another option is to have a glass shop replace the bottom. Might cost 100.00 but it may be worth it.
1+
A 220 is a 220 get it if it is free. It might be some work but it would be worth it then spending a couple hunderd for a new tank that is smaller.

pumper

Well, if you get the new glass for the bottom, and the glass shop breaks the whole tank down, cleans and prepares the edges, and re-silicons it from top to bottom, its basically new.
I'm all about saving money and considering the price of a decent 220g tank...

E

eric b 125

agreed. let me ask you guys this, its something i've wondered about for awhile. are all panes on a tank made of tempered glass, or just the bottom? i'll definately grip this thing up and replace the bottom glass, if i could have it drilled at the same time. i have a 125 that's not drilled, and the next tank i get i want to be reef ready. i dont have an overflow box yet, but im going to need one and i hear they are a pain. so if this is an option with the 220, then i'll def grab it.

pumper

You don't need an overflow box. Thats a waste of money. All you need is a 1.5'' threaded bulkhead with a 90 degree elbow on the inside. You can twist it until its tight then adjust it back and fourth to set the water level in the tank. Just make sure it's drilled close to the brim. Drilling a tank is much easier than it looks as well. You can search on youtube for "aquarium drilling" and find a step by step instructional video. I can also send you a link to a site that has the bits for under 20.00 and their own instructional video.
As far as tempered glass goes usually only the bottom is tempered. Some tanks have no tempered glass. If the bottom is tempered, it should be stamped on the bottom glass "tempered do not drill." But you said that tank was drilled on the bottom so its not tempered. It's also safe to say the sides are not tempered. As far as i know their is no need for the sides of a tank to be tempered.

E

eric b 125

yeah, i think i'll give this a shot. i think i know what site youre talking about. i'll call around the burgh to see what glass shops are around. in the meantime, if that tank is still there, i'll try and drill it myself. if i break the glass who cares, its a free tank. do i just look up glass shops in the yellow pages or google? hope someone does home visits! if this pans out, i'll start a build thread. thanks for all your help!

quads4_lif

if nothing else buy bulkheads for all the holes then put pvc in the bulkheads and cap them off you can use them at a later time. Also an idea is use all the holes in the middle and build you a center overflow out of acrylic and use the tank with all your plumbing in the middle. Cap off the holes your not gonna use and then use the rest for either drains or returns All out of the middle. I have seen several tanks that are like this used as room separators. Build a stand with doors on both sides and put you a large sump or a couple different sumps and everything is inclosed hang your lights from the celing or build you a large canopy.

E

eric b 125

yeah, i've seen tanks with the center overflows. the thing with this tank is that i'd need either a really big overflow, or 2 overflows in the middle. i'm going to explore my options on this. hopefully it will still be sitting there when i get around to heading that way.

9supratt4

Can't you set it up as a closed loop system insted of replacing the bottom glass?? That's what I would do!!
Where are you located anyway??

E

eric b 125

i could do that, but im not so sure how it would work considering the placement of the holes. i think i'll go with the two center overflows and use it for an aggressive set up sometime down the road. i have a 55 i could use as a sump for it. i live in pgh, pa. i guess the first order of business is picking it up tonight. hope its still there!