$229 for a clam

maxalmon

Surfing and found this Tridacna maxima clam, 4.5" and only $229, they had a few more for the $199. Would you pay that much for a clam, I just got my new lights and really want some kinda clam. The 2nd photo is of a T. crocea, I think it's just as cool looking and it's only $89 and is 2.5" 3rd pic is a T. maxima 3.5" cost is $129. Am I correct in the pricing of clams is realated to the coloration and type?

maxalmon

2 months, I don't plan on getting one for a while. I'm doing my research now and just kinda trying to figure out what type I want. 250w HQI MH and 130w dual actinics on a 75g so my lighting will be fine.

adam2817

In my opinion, I would wait a WHILE b4 you drop that kind of cash. For that kind of money, I would put in everything I would want in the tank first and use them as guinea pigs (not really) before you put that in there. Clams are nice but can be very delicate.

maxalmon

I figured I would give it a few more months, I've had SW tanks for well over 15 years, the reef part is new to me and i'm pretty good about not rushing into something without doing a lot of reading. The main point to this post was, are the prices listed above average for clams of those colorings, type and size

teen

that seems like a real lot to me. i know of a website that has the maximas for $45 through $90. ther all about 3"-4" and have a lot of nice colors. post your email adress and ill send you the site.

murph145

i got this clam its a large squamosa 9" for $125 its brown with gold and blue spots very very nice IMO
my other blue croceas that are about 4" for 40-50 but those they have pictured are very nice looking thats probably why they are charging so much remember though they always look better when viewed from above

maxalmon

I knew the prices were very high and have found them for much less, but i'm still figuring out how much of a premium they charge for exotic coloration. *Email Removed*

anonome

IMO, and I may be wrong, but I definately think the price of a clam is based on the coloring. I bought a 2" crocea clam on the "big auction house" that I think is gorgeous. I only paid $67.50 including shipping. It is really beautiful, but has only been in the tank for 1 week. I can certainly let you know. I, like you, do a lot of research before purchase. This is an addictive hobby, with all the gorgeous "things" available. :happyfish

mudplayerx

I've read that Tridacna clams that measure 4" - 5" are still juvenile and have a much lower chance of survival in the tank than a larger one.

mythrenody

One of my LFSs sells some nice Maximas for 50-200 bucks. They're small though,But healthy....Cant wait to get my Halides working!!!

ovenmitt

Can I get a couple sites for those really pretty clams since they are not for sale on Saltwaterfish.com??

maxalmon

Since this place only sells clams and SWF doesn't, *Link Removed* but this is not the site that I'm talking about which has the above listed clams, as I know that I can't post that link here out of respect

philgmiami

ive seen a clam for almost $1000.00..its like 80yrs old or something..they have it in my lfs here in tampa florida..no lie, this thing is like 24 inches long and 18 inches high.. its beautiful!!! :jumping: looks like one of them clams in the pics at the top of this thread

eaglephot

Originally Posted by murph145
i got this clam its a large squamosa 9" for $125 its brown with gold and blue spots very very nice IMO
my other blue croceas that are about 4" for 40-50 but those they have pictured are very nice looking thats probably why they are charging so much remember though they always look better when viewed from above
What do you do to keep you glass so clean?!? Same with the sand.