24" Sunpod 150w HQI fixture vs. 96w T5

dcr

Hey all,
I currently have a Tek5 24 x 4 T5 fixture running over my 30g tall tank. It’s been awhile, so I can’t remember my configuration, but I am guessing I have 2 x 12k and 2 Actinic Plus in there right now.
I was thinking about changing out to a 24” Sunpod 150w HQI fixture. I like the MH look, and I think the extra light would help growth and make things pop a bit more. I see it comes with legs, but I am not sure if that would keep the light high enough off of the water. From the pics, it looks to be 4-5 inches, and my water is 1 inch below the top (gravity drain). Is this too low?
My tank has a few fish, some mushrooms, orange and purple caps, a montipora, bubble tip and condy anemone and zoas. The rock goes up to the mid-point of the tank.
Anyone run one of these on a similar tank?

teresaq

I have the 20 inch version and love it. Its not too bad on height, but i did add a small fan to the back for heat.
T

nycbob

150w mh for a 24-inch 30 gallon tank is not too strong, and wont cover ur whole tank. u will see less bright spots on both sides. i'd keep the tek 4 bulbs t5.

dcr

nycbob...sent you a PM with a link to what looks like my current setup, but it has a 150w halide.

nycbob

i looked at it. is that tank being lighted by a pendant? if so, it sits a lot higher than the sunpod, and the shape of the pendant actually shoots the light better down the tank, therefore getting coverage.

dcr

I'll have to check...but it does look to be higher than a sunpod, as I can't see a flare in the last camera shot. Ok, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.