24G JBJ Nano sucking air

brandonvd

I recently set up a JBJ 24 gallon nano in my bedroom and have had it running for a while. I currently have some live rock, 2 damsels, an anemone, and 2 mushrooms in the tank. Everything is doing great and is cycling just fine, but I have recently ran into a problem with my pump, I think. A couple of days ago I noticed that the pump would send out some small air bubbles every few minutes. At first I thought that I might be low on water since the same thing will happen in my 80 gallon tank if I accidently let my sump get to low, but the water level is just fine. I don't know if there is something wrong with the pump or where the air is comming from and I am just hoping that someone else has experienced this problemand can help me. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Brandon

imaburch

I'm not an expert, but the only way for the pump to send out bubbles is for it to encounter air of some kind. That is the only way for that to happen. Bubbles in, Bubbles out.

brandonvd

I understand that the air has to be comming from somewhere, but I sure can't figure out where it is comming from so I am hoping that someone has an idea.
Brandon

appaloosa1

i have the same problem. I think it comes from where the elbow joiny from the pump enters the back wall, sending the water and air bubbles into the tank. There is a zip tie back there that seals the space between this tube and the back wall so try pushing them together and see if that helps. Also to make sure you don't wake up with a tank full of bubbles (like what happened to me) I have lowered my waterlevel so the output thingy sticks out of the water a little. This has seemed to help the most and will cause any airbubbles that arecreated to go straight to the surface.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Appaloosa1
i have the same problem. I think it comes from where the elbow joiny from the pump enters the back wall, sending the water and air bubbles into the tank. There is a zip tie back there that seals the space between this tube and the back wall so try pushing them together and see if that helps. Also to make sure you don't wake up with a tank full of bubbles (like what happened to me) I have lowered my waterlevel so the output thingy sticks out of the water a little. This has seemed to help the most and will cause any airbubbles that arecreated to go straight to the surface.
This is your problem...... tighten it up and you should be good to go!

nanocube24

Yesterday when I did my water change, I had the same problem. Turns out I was about a gallon low. When I got it completely topped off, the bubbles stopped immediately. Could be a fitting problem also.

jerth6932

Well when you said you werent low... I believed......
... darn I am gulible!!! But glad you figured out what was wrong!!

brandonvd

I messed around with the connections in the back of the tank and I think the air was comming from the zip tie being lose on the hose. I don't know why JBJ did such a hoakey job with their connections, but I think I am going to glue the hose or just use stainless hose clamps. Thank you for the help.
Brandon

jerth6932

Originally Posted by brandonvd
I messed around with the connections in the back of the tank and I think the air was comming from the zip tie being lose on the hose. I don't know why JBJ did such a hoakey job with their connections, but I think I am going to glue the hose or just use stainless hose clamps. Thank you for the help.
Brandon

gregzbobo

if you use stainless, use high quality ones, and be prepared to replace them regularly, most of the stainless clamps I've seen will rust eventually. There are plastic squeeze type clamps available on other sites that are lots better than zipties, and of course won't corrode.