24g nano -- need chiller help

moosey

total newbie here...apologizing now for any stupid questions. no mods have been made to my nano. stock everything.
last weekend was quite hot here in my home and tank was at 82 degs. i left the light off for 2 days so as not to kill my clean up crew. i have no other livestock other than LR, snails, hermits and 2 shrimp. i have a feeling the summer is going to be long and hot and need to find a solution soon!!! (i will NOT be getting any other livestock until the temp is under control) i have searched the forum and have not really found an answer. i have cats, so the fan thing is not going to fly for my tank.
so my question is: ice probe or chiller/pump. i know that the "n-customs place" will be selling a 24g probe chiller soon which will fit like a glove, but i don't think that is soon enough. any suggestions? i really have no idea how to set up the chiller/pump bit, so any directions (the more specific, brands, flow, setup, etc. the better) would help!! my cleanup crew and live rock will thank you!
*Email Removed*

pclown

I have Aquapod 24g tank with the 150w MH lighting on it and all I use is a Tower Fan. My heater is set at 78 and when my lights come on so does my tower fan. My temp never goes below 78.2 and no higher than 78.9 degree. I keep my home at 72 degrees. My fan sits behind my tank so it cant be seen. I paid $50 for my fan.

jacksdad

Originally Posted by moosey
total newbie here...apologizing now for any stupid questions. no mods have been made to my nano. stock everything.
last weekend was quite hot here in my home and tank was at 82 degs. i left the light off for 2 days so as not to kill my clean up crew. i have no other livestock other than LR, snails, hermits and 2 shrimp. i have a feeling the summer is going to be long and hot and need to find a solution soon!!! (i will NOT be getting any other livestock until the temp is under control) i have searched the forum and have not really found an answer. i have cats, so the fan thing is not going to fly for my tank.
so my question is: ice probe or chiller/pump. i know that the "n-customs place" will be selling a 24g probe chiller soon which will fit like a glove, but i don't think that is soon enough. any suggestions? i really have no idea how to set up the chiller/pump bit, so any directions (the more specific, brands, flow, setup, etc. the better) would help!! my cleanup crew and live rock will thank you!
*Email Removed*
Just so you know, 82 degs is not too high. There is always some debate about the ideal temp for a reef tank, but I have always kept my temps on the high side. It is just easier for me to keep my temp stable at 81 - 82 then in the 70's. To me stability is more important.
JMHO,
Bob

k7230o

Dude.
I got a 24 gallon JBJ nanocube and I had temp problems too. Mine was going up to 83 f. than at night it went down to as low as 76 f. This type of fluctuation is bad. I ended up buying a 1/10 Aqua euro chiller at *Link Removed*
It was the cheapst 1/10 I could find on the internet. I placed a Maxijet 1200 in the second chamber and I did some customization to feed the tubes through the canopy and that was it. I have maintained the temp to 78 degrees with no problems. Although very expensive but to me it was well worth it. I dont need fans, probes or leving the canopy open. I just have all enclosed with no worries.

moosey

luckily it's been cool around here lately, so my tank's been at 80 or so even with the lights on. appreciate all the advice. i think i'm going to have to invest in a chiller. found one made by pacific coast for under $200...possibly going to go that route...with the maxijet 1200. last summer there were weeks in the 90s here, so i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and spend the coin.
anyone use the ice probes and have good results? so much cheaper...

L

lbaskball

I use a fan and a ICA chiller for m 24gal nano. The only problem is that the water evaporates like craazzzy when I use the fan. My temperatures are kept on the high side too.

partsman

i agree with Jacksdad that stability is more important when controlling temp. way back when i first bought my 12 gal jbj i was also having a temp problem . i solved mine after talking with the factory and making my own mod.....
one of the biggest heat problems is air- water transfer area in a jbj - in other words , having enough room for the hot air to escape instead of sitting on the surface of the water causing an increase in water temp.
jbj says to keep the water level below or at the lowest level of the black tank moulding thus giving some area below the light shield so the heat can circulate or be sucked out by the fans.
what i also did was take a 2 inch hole saw and cut an opening in the splash shield directly below the fans to draw the heat directly out from the surface area. NOW I NEDDED A HEATER ...LOL
at least now i was able to control the heat with a heater............
i keep my water temp around 80 - 82 and have had fine results with my jbj .
but if ya got the big bucks .............get ya a chiller , i'd rather spend my $ on other gadgets .
michael
katrinaland, louisiana