250W MH too much for a 29g?

reefer34

you will hear different answers from different people. I would say go for it, as long as the pendant was cooled by fans.. or since its a pendant , keep it above the tank. The only other thing that might be a problem would be everyones friend algae. keep phosphates in mind and under control, maybe even a uv sterilizer to kill algae spores. algae wiping is a must, probably pretty frequently. heck, maybe you might even get lucky and not have any problems at all
just my thoughts ha

gio28

IMO it is. SPS should do good but anything else might get blasted by it. evaporation is also a concern as well. im no expert so dont take my word, take it from the more experienced reefers here.

iride350z

Ya, ive heard yes and no so im still unsure. If i do, I planned on hanging it petty high off the tank.

reefer34

Originally Posted by iride350z
http:///forum/post/3150543
Ya, ive heard yes and no so im still unsure. If i do, I planned on hanging it petty high off the tank.
then i wouldnt worry about it, I have my 150w right on my redsea 34 gallon with not one fan and the water usually stays between 76 and 78

gio28

if its high enough then heat is not an issue. hanging it up high might also decrease the amount of light entering the tank, but most of the light really loses PAR as it penetrates deeper into the water. do you know what corals you would like to keep mainly?

iride350z

not really, all i have now a softies. So how deep do 250w bulbs penetrate? the tank is 18in high so i'll raise it as high as possible without going out of range.

gio28

honestly, IMO i wouldnt use the 250 watt at all then. im sure some of the experienced reefers who know way more than i do will give you a better idea if you can or cant, so id wait to see what they say.

iride350z

I did some more looking around and there are a bunch of threads with people with a 250w set up. But I dont even have the light yet so i'll keep my ears open to what others say.