260 Gallon FOWLR (Ready to stock)

chana

Learned my lesson the hard way, Lost alot of fish because i moved to fast.
My tank has been fish free for 6 months. I have been running it with live rock and sand. The shrimp and crabs and snails are still doing good.
I have a 50 Gal Qt tank set up and I am ready to stock the tank.
Wants:
Tangs (several types)
Harliquin tusk
Lion fish
Lunar wrasse
Porc Puffer fish
stingray
I understand not all these will go with each other.
I would like to get a lot of tangs
My question is what fish to start with and if I am buying small (size) fish do i just do 1 at a time? I know not to go crazy and buy a bunch so is 2 small fish to many or 3 if you Qt at same time? When I say small i mean saltwaterfish.com small. If i do 1 at a time i will pay huge shipping fees over the year and have 12 (1 every month, if things go well)of fish in a 260G by next October?
If thats what it takes thats fine just nervous and dont want to kill fish!

teds tank

there might be some copatability issues here
the ray and lion could be picked on by the Harliquin tusk, Porc Puffer fish and Lunar wrasse
depending on the size of the tangs the lion could eat them
as for the ray there might not be enough space with all the rock. and i have no idea about how the ray will act with the lion. but i don't know a lot about rays
i would drop the puffer and the wrasse you could probaly keep the Harliquin tusk
good job on keeping your tank fish free for so long(i know i couldn't do that)

rigdon87

Originally Posted by Teds tank
http:///forum/post/3141017
good job on keeping your tank fish free for so long(i know i couldn't do that)

What about a couple lrg angles,eel of some type,trigger and maybe a pair of maroon clowns?

Nice looking tank by the way

teds tank

What about a couple lrg angles,eel of some type,trigger and maybe a pair of maroon clowns?
thats what i would do with a tank this large ,but they would attack his lion and ray

rigdon87

Originally Posted by Teds tank
http:///forum/post/3141030
thats what i would do with a tank this large ,but they would attack his lion and ray
Well i'd hate to say it but looking at the tank a ray would be out of the question.And i had a lion an he really wasnt a avid swimmer just kinda drifted around.IMO if i had to choose between a lion and angle's i would go with a couple lrg angles,they will add alot of color and motion to your tank,but if you would rather have a lion then by all means go for it

teds tank

Well i'd hate to say it but looking at the tank a ray would be out of the question
he could stack some of the rocks around giving more space for the ray add a little more sand it could work.
(what we need is someone who knows rays)

aquaknight

The dimensions of the tank will help with figuring out what will work and what won't. I'm getting the impression the tank doesn't look particularly tall or deep because of the goliath amount of sand it appears to have (though it looks like the sand is just mostly at front, and not much in the back). How much sand is in there too?

chana

size is 24" from front to back 30" from top to bottom and 7' side to side
There is alot of sand but and yes more in the front and i will even it out tonight it will be about 3" thick when done. When i added the sand and some of the rocks i was pissed (at myself) for killing fish. I didnt take the time to arrange the sand since there is nothing to look at anyway.
I like the idea of angels, tangs, trigger,eel a harlequin tusk and a lunar wrasse.
any issues with this combo?

chana

I am willing to drop the ray and lion for more color.
Here is a pic of the side view for help with size- the rocks could be rearrange and take up less room for sure.
I appreciate the comments and want to do this right so when we figure out the fish i am getting,then we need to figure what goes 1st, 2nd,........

chana

This is off topic but have to share.
Here is a pic of our PomPom crab in our Nano she is carrying eggs (red belly) i think. just took pic last night

teds tank

cool pic does your pompom crab hide a lot i was thinking of getting one
as for the angle trigger most people have these in thier tanks so it should be safe but it all comes down to what type of trigger and what type of eel....ect
these are my
stock ideas:
queen angle or emperror angle
a clown or hawiian trigger you (you might want to skip these they can be mean)
niger trigger
sailfin tang
blonde naso tang
regal tang
convict tang
a sfe
dragon wrasse(you wanted a lunar wrasse a don't think wrasses get along to well)
harlequin tusk
foxface
again these is what i
would put into your
tank it is gennerally what most people have in there large tank
Calling meowzer

crypt keeper

If you get the fish small you can qt at two at the sametime. I would recommend get the more aggressive tangs last, together and small. I would say get all fish small unless you have a certain fish you want as the show piece fish. This fish can be in the 6 inch range.
Most angels will eat your corals. You did not put angels on your list. Id skip on the puffer. They get big and big and have a huge bio load.
Male Blue Throat Trigger or Crosshatch or Pink tail
Aussie Tusk. Not indo
Purple Tang
Male Blond Naso
White Cheek Tang
Wrasse
Call it a tank

chana

Thanks for the ideas/opinions. Keep them coming....
As for the PomPom, just got it yesterday... was out the 1st night, but hasn't been out yet this evening.
I like the angels and the triggers. I have to have the puffer and the luner wrasse. I had these 2 fish before i made the big mistake and lost them.
So this is the have to have list:

1 Lunar Wrasse
1 Porc Puffer
1 Australian tusk
and thinking about
:

1 Annularis Angel or Queen angel
1 Eel (dont know what kind yet)
1 Blue Throat Trigger
Some tangs ( thinking about what kind)

teds tank

So this is the have to have list:
1 Lunar Wrasse
1 Porc Puffer
1 Australian tusk
and thinking about
:
1 Annularis Angel or Queen angel
1 Eel (dont know what kind yet)
1 Blue Throat Trigger
Some tangs ( thinking about what kind)
i'd say thats a good list i can't find anything wrong with it
is the pompom crab in your 260g?

small triggers

the lost looks good, though id think about a full grown eel in with all those fish, personally, i dont like them enough as they hide alot. The tangs, I LOVE sailfin, sohal, and kole tang ( one of each family). I would still do the wrasse with the tuskfish, and maybe an angel,,pork get huge, but if you are ready for the bio-load go for it.
Finally, as far as how many and when i would do the wrasse and tusk at one time to start. Then the 3 tangs at the same time, and lastly the angel, the pork somewhere in there.

stoss

get a green bird wrasse. They add a different shape in the tank, nicely colored and constantly swim around. I have a harlequin and bird wrasse in my tank and they are always moving around.

skate020

seeing as your tank has been running for 6months with not fish it could probably take up to about 4 fish at a time (small fish).
but it wouldnt be 100%
gettin any more then that will be an overload for the filter, and it'll take too long to adjust, to be on the safe side, i recommend doing at most, 2 fish at a time, but dont buy online, go to local fish shop, atleast then you can see size, and whether there in a good condition, and if they dont have the fish you want, wait till they stock it, that'll stop the tempation of buying fish for no point, just could you could