280 gallon tank for a new refugium

o.k. , i was going to sell the 280 gallon i have, well at least i thought it was a 280 gallon when i bought it and was told it was a 280, the size is 84x24x24, so i was now told it is a 210, so my 210 reef tank is in the process day by day, getting completely scrubbed, cleaned and most importantly sealed. This reef tank is acrylic, it leaked on me three times, third time was its last strike, its out now.
for the record, i have now running in my home starting from largest reef tank to the smallest reef tank,300, 280 (aka 210),210 frag tank,175 bowfront, 144 half circle, and a 42 gallon bowfront. Tanks that are down, recent to latest, started to break down since, August,is a 280 (aka210) 180 gal quarantine tank, 1 42 gal bowfront, 2 65 gal hexagons, 1 42gal hexagon, 92 gal corner, and 2 125 gallons that had eels,sharks,groupers, 90 gal fresh water, 2 5 gallon nano's, and a 150 gallon round tub that held rocks to cure.
I didn't plan to tare down the 280 (aka210) tank, at 2:00am friday night, i noticed my 144 half circle spitting air, the 144 gallon half circle is connected to the 280 (aka210) that's in the garage, they were both connected to share the chiller, lol, i ran out of usable power in this house from all the reef tanks

So when i look into the garage at the 280, the water line was all ready half way, good thing this tank was in the garage, but my corals were getting out of water, so i started to break off corals from rocks, put them in other reef tanks, started pulling out rocks, at this point ,2 hours later, my poor fish wear flapping, all the water leak out, i started grabbing, and throwing all LR in borrows with other salt water, wasn't thinking of Bristle worms on bottom of live rocks that were at the bottom of tank, ouch, i got pricky,ichky, thorny, fingers
boy i finally got to the fish, had to throw them in the new 300 gallon , this tank only had 7 cromis in there, all my other reef's are stocked with many fish, so it had to go in the 300, at least its been running for a while, still going to wait till march 08, to stock with corals.
So at 7:30 in the morning I finally finished, my fingers at that time was burning, stinging majorly, swelled up bad, fast, could touch nothing. Boy I'll never, ever do that again, the next day, all corals, fish looked good.
Keep in mined that my 2 year old son turned 2 on Saturday, i still had to finish setting up for the birthday party, go get last items from publix, ( fill up balloons,got beef potatoes balls preordered, Cuban sandwich platter, go to house, help finish setting up, at this point , i felt like passing out, feeling like a zombie, fingers killing me, looks like red swollen grape fruits, itching like crazy, party went on, holding video camera for 2 hours, haaaaa, then coraljunky and his friend showed up, bought some LR, boy it was killing me pulling out rocks from barrows , got it done, and finally went to bed really late, Sunday morning Groupergenius came by early, he also got rocks, haaaaa, and got on computer to go over what i got to ship from the blue tubs zoo's deal i did, and still on the computer tapping on the keys with half way swollen fingers,lol.
i don't feel good about selling a acrylic tank that's had a bad record for leaks, never sealed it right, but now I'm going to seal it, and use it as a refugium for the 300 gal.
i'll post pics of the process.
here a pic of the 280(aka 210) and a pic of the 300 gallon still cycling.

murph145

wow u have been a busy man sucks for that luck! ive never had a major disaster like that ... i only have a single 180g tank but i could imagine how crappy it would be to spring a leak... how old was the tank?? well i hope all survives and u get it back and running soon...

Originally Posted by murph145
wow u have been a busy man sucks for that luck! ive never had a major disaster like that ... i only have a single 180g tank but i could imagine how crappy it would be to spring a leak... how old was the tank?? well i hope all survives and u get it back and running soon...
the tank was 3 years old, good thing i had space in the other reef tanks to hold the corals from the disaster.
here's a recent pic of the 280 , and a pic of the new 300 gallon, and the 144 half circle,

280 gallon (aka 210)

new cycling 300 gallon

144 gallon half circle

murph145

yea luckily u had enough room in the other tanks and u caught it in time so the corals didnt go dry and die off

Originally Posted by murph145
yea luckily u had enough room in the other tanks and u caught it in time so the corals didnt go dry and die off
yea, that would have really been bad, but that did happen the first time it leaked, it dryed out quite a few corals, but some others made it, like zoo's, and some sps made it, but about 75% of them did dry out, at that time most corals were just frags.

cubsfan

beautiful purple rocks in the frag tank
Wish I was near Florida just to see the beautiful tanks you have. great job

Originally Posted by cubsfan
beautiful purple rocks in the frag tank
Wish I was near Florida just to see the beautiful tanks you have. great job
thanks cubsfan, and i'll send some pics to you on some of the corals available.

chris22582

That sucks laz. You should have called me I would have come help. If you need a hand getting any of that done just let me know. Sorry for the luck. Atleast youll get a bad ass fudge. lol

Originally Posted by Chris22582
That sucks laz. You should have called me I would have come help. If you need a hand getting any of that done just let me know. Sorry for the luck. Atleast youll get a bad ass fudge. lol
haha ok next time if something happens at 2:00am, i'll call you buddy.

chris22582

Im almost sure I was up. lol But if you did have one of those kinds of disasters dont hesitate to call. I know how I would be if that happened to me. lol So yup if its 2 a.m. go ahead and call if your tank empties out. lol

Im almost sure I was up. lol But if you did have one of those kinds of disasters dont hesitate to call. I know how I would be if that happened to me. lol So yup if its 2 a.m. go ahead and call if your tank empties out. lol

thanks man, your on my disaster call list,lol,thanks

it was a mission , and lots of bribing to my girl to let me have the 300 gallon, i told here that since our youngest son has tons of toys , that I'll get a toy chest, when the tank arrived, i told her here's Nico's toy chest, she was surprised alright, hey at least its a big toy chest right, i plumed everything into the garage and now the whole bottom stand is pretty much a toy chest, at least my son is happy,

in this pic you can see the huge gigas on the right in the 144 half circle, and if you look at the 300, you can see the bowfront 175 gal reflection on the front of the 300.

Can i have one of those toy chests for Christmas? lol

hey, i got the 144 half circle chest, lol, and the 175 bowfront chest,lol, i think you said that you wanted the 175 bowfront chest,
let me know man, there going.

chilwil84

sweet tanks am i the only one who caught view of a passer angel and what looks like a miniatus(has the spots and yellow fins) is a frag tank how does that work out for you.