riafekim

OK, you've heard a ton of stories but I am going to chime in!
My sister went to ***** today to pick up some supplies and she saw this really cool looking Damsel fish that appears to be schooling. And they are selling them 3 for $9. So she calls me and asks if we can put them in the tank. I am on the road so I can't look them up. I am hesitant, so I say go ahead get them and we'll put them in our QT and watch them for a while. I also tell that if they go crazy she is fully responsible for getting them out.
SHe brings them home puts them in the QT and then finally does some research. Here is what she finds on one web site.
Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish, also known as the South Seas Devil Damselfish or Village Belle, is blue with a yellow belly. It is considered aggressive and should not be mixed with its own species or passive fish.
It does better with larger fish in aquariums 30 gallons or larger.

What did we learn from this?
1. No impulse buys...ever!
2. Don't trust ***** (at least my local one)...ever!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
i dont shop at mine either every fish i bought from there got sick and died with in a day
***** is a mass merchandiser; you could be getting fish from the cat person while the fish person, who isn't well trained anyway, is at lunch. Buying fish from ***** would be like buying a Rolex at Wal-Mart.

yup your right they screwed up to tanks that i had to restart it cost me over 200 bucks
mine is in montgomery alabama

nigerbang

yup your right they screwed up to tanks that i had to restart it cost me over 200 bucks
mine is in montgomery alabama

How did they mess up YOUR tank?

texasmetal

I've had good and bad experiences there. Got a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, did great. Found a Coral Beauty there for $15. Great buy. Then it unleashed its disease on everyone. Bad deal. Got my first saltwater fish there actually. Neon Goby for $6. Lived well over a year, until it decided to jump out of a piece of live rock while in transport across the house.
Always safest to avoid purchasing fish there.

i call it deathco.. Cause they tell you wrong stustics and sell you the wrong equipment.And every time i would buy a fish from them 9 times outa 10 they died taking somebody else with them.
But there just really a bunch of college kids that need a job but really dont now anything about the hobby

Originally Posted by riafekim
OK, you've heard a ton of stories but I am going to chime in!
My sister went to ***** today to pick up some supplies and she saw this really cool looking Damsel fish that appears to be schooling. And they are selling them 3 for $9. So she calls me and asks if we can put them in the tank. I am on the road so I can't look them up. I am hesitant, so I say go ahead get them and we'll put them in our QT and watch them for a while. I also tell that if they go crazy she is fully responsible for getting them out.
SHe brings them home puts them in the QT and then finally does some research. Here is what she finds on one web site.
Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish, also known as the South Seas Devil Damselfish or Village Belle, is blue with a yellow belly. It is considered aggressive and should not be mixed with its own species or passive fish.
It does better with larger fish in aquariums 30 gallons or larger.

What did we learn from this?
1. No impulse buys...ever!
2. Don't trust ***** (at least my local one)...ever!
I had 2 of those in my tank with 2 perc clowns, and they do great. I did take them back to the LFS, but that is because i have a 20 gal, and my daughter wanted a royal gramma. I would have over stocked. Now we have Nemo, Coral, and Dora (Dora is the royal gramma). Those damsels aren't as bad as you read. At least mine weren't

nigerbang

i call it deathco.. Cause they tell you wrong stustics and sell you the wrong equipment.And every time i would buy a fish from them 9 times outa 10 they died taking somebody else with them.
But there just really a bunch of college kids that need a job but really dont now anything about the hobby
So THEY crashed your tanks because YOU failed to do more research?

riafekim

Originally Posted by scrappalooza
I had 2 of those in my tank with 2 perc clowns, and they do great. I did take them back to the LFS, but that is because i have a 20 gal, and my daughter wanted a royal gramma. I would have over stocked. Now we have Nemo, Coral, and Dora (Dora is the royal gramma). Those damsels aren't as bad as you read. At least mine weren't
Hmmm...well we are going to put them in a seperate tank. We are starting a test tank for my boys to see how they like taking care of a tank. My oldest son wants a Lion Fish so if he can take care of these guys. If they do well with it I'll get them the Lion. I'll let the Lion eat the Damsels...kidding

Originally Posted by NigerBang
So THEY crashed your tanks because YOU failed to do more research?

No this was when i was new to this hobby and they told me that my tank would be fine like they sold me fake puddy sand and would tell me a fish that was sick would be fine or lie about how i needed some piece of eqipment etc.

nigerbang

No this was when i was new to this hobby and they told me that my tank would be fine like they sold me fake puddy sand and would tell me a fish that was sick would be fine or lie about how i needed some piece of eqipment etc.
So what you were new..Tons of new ppl still do research or will at least ask other stores, They didnt crash your tank...You did...No big deal...Everyone has to start somewhere...But they didnt...You did..Don't put off the blame on others...My first tank crashed..With some REALLY bad advice from a LFS....But they didnt do it..I did...

Ya your right i was just to stupid to read anything cause i figured i would listen to them cause i thought they new what they where doin but your right it was my fault but i beileve that these stores shouldnt hire people like this because there pointing people in the wrong direction everyday on what to do

nigerbang

Ya your right i was just to stupid to read anything cause i figured i would listen to them cause i thought they new what they where doin but your right it was my fault but i beileve that these stores shouldnt hire people like this because there pointing people in the wrong direction everyday on what to do
Agreed...Like said in an earlier post...ALot of places hire High-School Kids who just want to earn some money and dont care either way...Not trying to be rude at all...Sorry if I came off as being rude..Not my intention.

Agreed...Like said in an earlier post...ALot of places hire High-School Kids who just want to earn some money and dont care either way...Not trying to be rude at all...Sorry if I came off as being rude..Not my intention.

Its fine im not mad.. but yes your totally correct they dont now much about it but wanna make a lil bit of green. Like they say to feed the saltwater fish live freshwater minos which will kill them early

ophiura

How did they mess up YOUR tank?

Thank you for asking exactly what I was thinking. How exactly were they in the wrong?

S

sara_y

Originally Posted by srfisher17
***** is a mass merchandiser; you could be getting fish from the cat person while the fish person, who isn't well trained anyway, is at lunch. Buying fish from ***** would be like buying a Rolex at Wal-Mart.
Me being a noob, I know nothing about this new hobby I picked up.
I thought it was just me!!! 3 outta the 6 I bought from my lfs died!

When I bought my bubble tip anemone, the girl was forcefully trying to rip it off of the rock it was sitting on!!!
I looked @ her in shock and not knowing anything about an anemone. I told her she was going to kill it, and her reply was "oh." and bagged up the rock along w/the anemone for me.
They're all nice and all... but I dont know if I'd go to them anymore when I'm in need of info... or have questions.....

rara12

You wouldnt have to worry about a ***** fish killing all your other fish if you QT'ed your fish in the first place!!!