eugenez_21

Well the ***** in my area is pretty good cause they have a 50 year old guy that knows what he is doing but when he is of everybody else is kinda dumn and dont know the difference between a tang and a damsel.
Bout a few weeks ago i had my dad pick up 3 blue green chromis and accumilate them to my dt. When a got home they turned out to be the same blue deviled damcel now its impossible to get them of.

waterworld

***** has as many horror stories as LFS retailers and on-line retailers Blah..Blah ..Blah. A good direction on ALL purchases is if you are not sure ask more than one "Expert" and do research to verify their info. If you are not sure of the knowledge level of the people you are asking or talking to be sure to ask them questions that YOU KNOW the answer to. If they reply with a bunch of BS you know they are not to be considered.
Impulse buys of anything are hazardous.
Great Thread.
WW

florida joe

Ok call me crazy but if I walk into a store to buy something fish or other wise as a consumer I should at least be confident that the store is selling something that is in some what good heath and they know a little about the subject they are selling IMO

nigerbang

Originally Posted by florida joe
Ok call me crazy but if I walk into a store to buy something fish or other wise as a consumer I should at least be confident that the store is selling something that is in some what good heath and they know a little about the subject they are selling IMO
That would make you crazy....
I have bought Guns before and had a total n00b try and sell me ammo that wouldnt work....Imagine if someone tried that..
I know what your saying though..You would think that would know a little about what they are selling..But thats not the case 75% of the time..

florida joe

Originally Posted by NigerBang
That would make you crazy....
I have bought Guns before and had a total n00b try and sell me ammo that wouldnt work....Imagine if someone tried that..
I know what your saying though..You would think that would know a little about what they are selling..But thats not the case 75% of the time..
that is exactly my point thay SHOULD know a little bit about what they are selling but i still may be crazy as you point out
and i guess thats why my walter ppk did not fire my royal gramma

nigerbang

that is exactly my point thay SHOULD know a little bit about what they are selling but i still may be crazy as you point out

I am sure you know that I mean no disrespect at all...Just playing around..

florida joe

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I am sure you know that I mean no disrespect at all...Just playing around..
no disrespect taken my friend we are all in this crazy hobby as brothers and sisters

crimzy

Originally Posted by riafekim
OK, you've heard a ton of stories but I am going to chime in!
My sister went to ***** today to pick up some supplies and she saw this really cool looking Damsel fish that appears to be schooling. And they are selling them 3 for $9. So she calls me and asks if we can put them in the tank. I am on the road so I can't look them up. I am hesitant, so I say go ahead get them and we'll put them in our QT and watch them for a while. I also tell that if they go crazy she is fully responsible for getting them out.
SHe brings them home puts them in the QT and then finally does some research. Here is what she finds on one web site.
What did we learn from this?
1. No impulse buys...ever!
2. Don't trust ***** (at least my local one)...ever!
What did ***** do wrong here??? Am I missing something? Did someone tell your sister that they are peaceful or give bad information? All you said was that your sister saw them, liked them and bought 3 of them for $9.00. I appreciate a good LFS/***** bash as much as anyone but I must be missing something here. Can you explain how your story leads to the conclusion that you can't trust *****?

no disrespect taken my friend we are all in this crazy hobby as brothers and sisters
You got that right where all crazy for speending hours a day and hundreds of dolars trying to make a fake ocean in are house.

But i love it's like a drug i just can't quiet......

But i love it like a fat kid likes cake

Originally Posted by crimzy
What did ***** do wrong here??? Am I missing something? Did someone tell your sister that they are peaceful or give bad information? All you said was that your sister saw them, liked them and bought 3 of them for $9.00. I appreciate a good LFS/***** bash as much as anyone but I must be missing something here. Can you explain how your story leads to the conclusion that you can't trust *****?
What where sayin these kids or whatever dont know what there doin or how to take care of these animals there just wanting a job and they figure its easy cash...
But people dont treat these fish right sometimes i think of my fish like one of my dogs or camels..

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
What where sayin these kids or whatever dont know what there doin or how to take care of these animals there just wanting a job and they figure its easy cash...
But people dont treat these fish right sometimes i think of my fish like one of my dogs or camels..

Camels?

nigerbang

yep sure do i have to male and a female named charlie and freda
Thats awsome...

S

sudc

Originally Posted by crimzy
I'm with crimzy, i really don't understand what they did wrong
You let your sister make an impulse buy having no clue what she was getting? I didn't even see in your story that she even ASKED them what they were or compatability. What did she even ask them and what did they say?
They are damsels. Even the noobs of all noobs know that damsels are very AGGRESSIVE fish. And these are called BLUE DEVILS!!! Hmmmmm. damsels named "blue devils", wonder how they will act?????

As much as *****(and alot of lfs) do

[hr]
up, i gotta put the blame here squarely on you and your sister, not ***** or their employees.
p.s.- When did they put in a profanity sensor???? I had seasalt call me every name in the book today in another thread and it wasn't censored by the profanity filter but it catches s c r e w?????

waterworld

To me it all comes down to taking care of #1 and that is me. We all know that most employees, in particular retail, are going to be inexperienced, apathetic etc. Of course some are not but how do you know who they are if you do not ask questions of them? So why would expose yourself to complete trust in their knowledge. Most of us ask questions of schooled and trained professionals, doctors, lawyers, mechanics etc to better understand what involves us and our needs. Why would that not pertain here as well when the consumers radar should be on high alert. No defense of ***** or offense to my local LFS but the one ***** I have ever been in had cleaner tanks and better looking fish than my LFS!
WW

marka1620

I think I've been lucky when dealing with *****. I bought three out of my four fish in ***** and they are all alive and doing great. Bought them when I just started and didnt QT them. But, never had ich from them.
I have yet to ask any of the ***** employees any info and just assume they know very little or nothing. If I saw something I liked. I researched it prior to buying. I do that with the LFS also. Many times, if I see a fish,coral...etc. I'm interested in. I'll just grab a book of the shelf and thumb threw it right there in the store and get a better idea of their needs and temperment.
Ofcourse, my 1st choice would be to purchase from a clean LFS just to be on the safe side. I still purchase the majority of my supplies from *****. Just because they are closer.

florida joe

will keep my new camel in my 12g Qt for two more weeks will keep you posted

jaysonl29

*****'s not that bad....ours is great except they dont sell saltwater fish any more but I got a clown from there and he will be 3 in January and hes doing great....I have had bad luck with fish from there but hes a trooper....

will keep my new camel in my 12g Qt for two more weeks will keep you posted
Ha ha
No i seriously do have 2 camels named Charlie and Freda Male and female