280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

I've also considered the purple tang any thoughts here? The only one thats for sure is the achilles. RC the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a group of chromis, I'm leaning towards the blue reef chromis if I do it.

superman

Really awesome tank man! I just spent the last half hour reading the post from the beginning as I've been away from the site for a while. Just curious, how are your inverts fairing with the triggers? I couldn't believe I saw a living shrimp in there considering the diet of triggers =). From my personal experience, almost all large angels will plow through your corals. There is a fine line between FOWLR and reef and it is very tempting to cross, but is typically not recommended. Your corals are beautiful so far, I would stick to tangs if you are looking for larger fish that won't harm your inverts. Keep up the great work!

kylev

Thanks Superman, the triggers havnt touched any inverts yet, so my fingers are still crossed. I'm really enjoying the corals so I think I'm going to try to keep them safe.

R

rcreations

Crosshatch triggers are considered reef safe, so I doubt they'll bother your shrimp, unless they get really hungry.
I agree with Superman, you should decide on either reef or FOLWR, don't try to walk that thin line in between because then you're sacrificing both the beautiful FOWLR fish and the corals you can have. Go all out one way or another. I've seen some beautiful reef tanks!

kylev

Whats my best way to rid myself of the diatoms in my sand bed? I'm guessing 70 nessasius snails I recently added should help, plus cut back on feeding??

R

rcreations

All the new tanks I ever set up had diatoms at some point in the first year, then it all went away on its own and never came back. I think it has to do with the new sand you put in... I remember reading about it but I forgot where.

spanko

Diatoms feed on the silicates in the sandrock and will eventually deplete them and go away. The stand came out very nice. JMO but I would try a BTA in that tank. All your softies are doing well what I don't know is what your lights are. Sorry have not read the entire thread. But if your lights are sufficient I think you would be fine trying one.

kylev

Thanks Spanko, the lights are two 48" 6x54 ATI powermodules. The softies are all doing great and I really want to try a bubble tip, I think it could find a spot to be happy.
Last night I emptied out my LFS live rock bin of all the left over rock he had. I got it for 1.25 a pound so I took everything he had which was about 60 pounds. The rock isnt by any means pretty but it will work for sump rock all the same. Its currently in my QT curing.
I'm curious as to how much I should be feeding. Right now I've been feeding a mixture of ocean nutrition formulas and spirulina plus krill and silversides. In the DT is the clowns, crosshatches, hippo, blenny, lemonpeel, and flame angel. What would be a good mixture of cubes/krill/silversides feeding schedule. As of now i've been feeding about a total of 3 cubes a night and rotating the silversides and krill. There seems to be very little left over food and as always the fish want more.
edit: Since I'm going a little more reef friendly does anyone know if I have ok odds with a blue spot jawfish?

R

rcreations

Do the fish look nice and fat? That's a good indication if you're feeding them enough.
Sorry, I can't help with the jaw fish, I've had bad experience with one. My pinktail trigger totally destroyed it in a matter of hours, the poor jawfish was missing his entire tail half. But I'm sure that had to do with my crazy trigger, which I traded in to the LFS after that.

kylev

The fish do look nice and fat, they are just very good at making you question how much your feeding them since they are so good at begging.
Unless someone chims in and objects to the jawfish I might eventually try one

superman

Jawfish are cool. From what I've seen and read, they prefer a more peaceful community. Fish are pretty good at begging, but if you feed them 2-3 times a day, they aren't starving.

kylev

I've also pondered about adding a pair of black and white clowns. I know there usually can't be two pairs but I'm guessing they'd be ok in a 280g tank

kylev

A good portion of my mushrooms that used to be very happy and open are now staying fairly small over the past few days. For the most part all the other coral is happy except one frag of zoas thats been closed for a few days. My test results are good. Am 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 PH 8.25 Spec grav 1.0245 Temp 80 Alk 10 Calcium 460 Phos 0. Anybody have any ideas?