28watts: what types of corals can i do???

1990jpyj

i have 2 tanks that i have found a few 28w fixtures for. i plan on using them as temp lights until i can get the "good" lights. i found them for $20ea so im not complaining.
tanks:
10g- would like to do some zoa's and some softies. its 2.8w per gallon. my LFS says that its ok for them but i dont really trust them cuz i was looking at buying one of there lights
20g- not real sure what i can do for this one i would like to get something in there but i can wait if its not really safe.
thanks for all the help

1990jpyj

i found so cheapos so i picked them up. thats y i really ask. i needed a light and a guy i knew was getting rid of umm so for $20ea i wasnt complaining. i needed one for my 10g and the 20g still and he threw in a 18" FW light 2 for my GF's lil bros tank. so it was a descent deal. im just trying to figure out if there is anything i can really get with this combo.
i dont really have the greatest paying job at the moment so im sorta still low on the cash for the light.
but kinda by the sound of it probly not.-guessing seance no body has answered

ophiura

I don't know that you'll be happy with some of the really "bright" zoanthids...the color may just never quite work out, but I don't see why you couldn't give it a go with zoanthids, mushrooms and such. May just not be as colorful, but I think some would be OK. However, how old are the bulbs? Are they PC bulbs or normal output? I mean I kept some shrooms and such under those old lights of america under cabinet flourescents but with better bulbs.
If the bulbs are normal output, or old, might be a bigger issue.

1990jpyj

the bulbs will be brand new. they are used right now. i am gonna be ordering some tonight when i get the other fixture. just to make sure they they are exactly the same. but they will be T5HO's. one antic and one 10,000k daylight(might go 6,500k not 100%-might get used for cheato/Fuge).
they are not PC's they are either 14 or 15w bulbs depends on which ones i buy/work with my new combo.
Zoa's and mushrooms are ok that was really all i was long for. would that be safe to do in both tanks?
i have a 10g-which i think would be fine
and a 20gT not 100% sure if the light would get all the way down(unless i just put them up higher)
thanks

1990jpyj

for the 10g its 2.8w per gallon
and the 20g is 1.4w per gallon
so i dont really think its that strong but if you say it would be fine then i guess i can try it

ophiura

Obviously the 10g is the better bet, but I would suspect that you can keep things in the 20 with t5...at least shrooms. Its worth a shot I think.

1990jpyj

ok well for the 10g im gonna try some zoa's, shrooms, and i was thinking some leathers(unless someone tells me different)
i was thinking about doing a toadstool. but im not real sure on how well it would do.
the 20g im gonna try do do a few frags of zoo's at the top. my GF really likes the watermelon and the volcanics,
so we gonna give it a try

1990jpyj

anybody know if any of this would work out. mainly for the 10g the 20g not so much worried about right now. i just dont wanta buy these things and have them die on me.

nycbob

why risk it and end up wasting more money. just save more and buy a better light in the future. if u the money to buy corals, u should hv money to buy at least a decent fixture.

1990jpyj

i was thinking the same thing as far as the light goes. my GF cant really wait for the corals. as far as lights go, i know i want t5s but how many watts should i be looking per gallon? i herd that 3-5 is pretty good. is this true?
thanks. i showed her the post and shes sad now.(she might go out and buy me a new fixture cuz of this even
)
o yea and both tanks will be about similar with the coral stock list:
zoos,(mostly)
shrooms,
frogspawn,
maybe a samll xena