29 gal reef... wet/dry?

kittykitty

So I've decided I'm gonna set up a 29 gallon reef, and hopefully breed some clowns in it.
Ok... what's my ideal setup? I think have lighting figured out, gonna try the ORBIT power compact (1 dual 10k- 65 watt and 1 dual actinic - 65 watt, and moonlight) which makes it about 4.5 watts per gallon. Not sure what types of corals I want to put in there yet, but I'm definitely going to have an anemone or two. Think this is enough light?
I'm mainly having problems figuring out my filtration. Should I... or could I... do a wet/dry for a tank this size? I was hoping I could just make one, but have NO idea how to. I looked online for wet/dry filters and all I found were for larger tanks, 75 gal and up. Could I get away with an emperor and a skimmer instead?
:help:

figstr822

Your best bet would be to build a sump using either a 10g or 15g if you can find one - the bigger the better. If you have enough LR in the tank, you don't need a bio filter built into the sump at all. If you want a bio filter, get some acrylic from a plastic shop and many will cut it for you. Then use acrylic cement to put it together. I made 2 bio towers this way for 2 sumps. Do an internet search under "DIY sumps" and you should get all kinds of plans. If I had pics of mine I'd post them, but at the moment I don't. Don't forget to put baffles in the sump to eliminate the bubbles caused by the skimmer. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

kittykitty

Originally posted by beaslbob
With a smaller tank you may want to consider a HOB type refugium.

whats that?:notsure:

figstr822

It's a fuge that hangs on the back of the tank. The water enters the fuge by a powerhead and exits into the tank via a spillway. CPR makes 2 sizes. Check out ***********.com as I believe them carry them. This eliminates the need for a fuge under tank. However, hang ons can be expensive and it would still be benificial if you have a sump in the stand if you used a hang on fuge.

jasontk

It's an Amiracle slim-line series SL-50. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the site but it's from **************. Make that a URL and you're good to go.
Here's a pic:

figstr822

If you planned on using bio balls, it would be worth buying it if you planned on making one out of acrylic. I was going to make a sump using acrylic and decided against it because of the cost. I wound up using a 15g tank - no bio balls as the tank will be a reef when it's finally put together.