29 gal set-up -- PLEASE HELP

mc1600

I have been all over the internet, and I am sure to no ones surprise found about 10,000 opinions. I have been unable, however, to find anything to match-up with my specific needs and wondering if anyone out there can help. So here goes...
My question is on filtration and skimming. I have a 29gal FW cichlid set-up right now with a nice powerhead for water movement and a Penguin 170 w/ a bio wheel which has been keeping the water nice and clean especially with my religious weekly water changes.
My LFS is telling me I should just add a Skilter 400 and I will be all set. I have seen repeatedly, however, that the Skilters are worthless and noisy. So my question is...
1. Can I just add a good protein skimmer to this set-up and continue using my Penguin? I would like to avoid having to buy another filter if at all possible.
2. Should I go ahead and take the recommendation of my LFS at use the Penguin AND the Skilter?

mc1600

I forgot to mention that this will be a FO tank with probably just 1-2 pieces of live rock for added filtration and bio stabilization.

T

tizzo

You have a fresh water set-up??? A protien skimmer would be useless!!

standish

Opinion #10,001 :D
You may continue to use your current filter for saltwater. For a FOWLR, a skimmer isn't actually necessary. It's a good idea to have one, but not a must.
Live rock can provide alot of bio-filtration. I suggest you shoot for about 1.5 lbs. per gallon.
I agree with whoever told you that skilters are junk, and noisy.

T

tizzo

OOOOOhh, well that's another story!! First of all, the cichlid won't live...hahahaha, just kiddin'. A skilter filter works, IMO very well as far a skimming. But as you said, it IS loud. When I had mine, I had to put an air intake valve on the air line. When I turned down the air flow it got significantly quieter. I would be confident to compare it to other protien skimmers. I liked mine, but I up'graded because after about 6 months, it didn't work as well. Upon disassembling, I found out why, my air line was FULL of salt creep. So I personally think they work pretty well. But, word to the wise, if you get one, buy it on-line... It cuts the cost in half!!

T

tizzo

Hi Standish, here we are together again. I'm beginning to think your following me.:D