29 gallon possbile reef tank

Hello,
I currently have a 29 gallon tank that i would like to upgrade to a reef however it's one of those marineland tanks that come with the bio-wheel and hooded lights. I wanted to know if i can just change the bulbs would that be efficient? If so which ones
. Also do I really need a protein skimmer? The reason why I asked because I just went into a pet store not my LFS and the lady swore that I needed one like she wouldn't sell me anything unless I had one. I'm considering a star polyp (I've read there great for reef beginers). So with that said let me know what you guys think....

coco worm

i have a friend that has a 30 gallon with a fluval filter and she does not have a protien skimmer and her tank looks awesome
it also is a reef. and my 60 gallon reef does not have a protien skimmer and is doing awesome too

chrisnif

That "big national pet co chain" that does the saltwater fish hires anyone off the street to work there, so make sure you take their advice for what it's worth, er nothing :) The one guy there told me I needed at least 100 pounds of live rock for my 56 gallon tank, and would be happy to "make me a deal" for $8.99/pound if I got it all at once ;)

nycbob

the light that comes with the eclipse hood wont be sufficient for most corals. maybe some zoas and shrooms at best. u will want at least power compact to keep and hv most softies and zoas thrive. another thing u need to know is reef needs better flow then fowlr.

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3188937
the light that comes with the eclipse hood wont be sufficient for most corals. maybe some zoas and shrooms at best. u will want at least power compact to keep and hv most softies and zoas thrive. another thing u need to know is reef needs better flow then fowlr.

I do plan on gettin 1 with a flow rate of 400 gph

So last I checked in I was thinking about adding some soft corals to my tank which I did. I went with a small green star polyp and I have a small blue stripped mushroom 3-5 poylps that is accilmating right now... it's been alittle over an hour! In my last post I also stated that I had a built in hood and i was able to change one of the lights to a T 50/50 bulb. So far so good I've had the star poylp for about 3 weeks now. I also got 1 koralia pump with a 400gph..... So I said all that to say what IDK I thought I would just share that with you guys

So these are the green stars once I get the mushrooms in there I'll take another pic. I'm still working on getting more color on my LR I need to be more constant with my solutions