29G BioCube Adventure!

papajt

Well, this past weekend I was out at a fleamarket and low and behold I find a 29G BioCube new in the box. Never used, never opened along with the stand that comes for it. With the price tag of just $150.00 I picked it up quick.
I currently have a 14G BioCube stocked with a gold stripe maroon clown, a small anemone (with a little white crab on it), several little red and blue algae eating crabs, a few different kinds of snails that go down in the sand and some mushrooms (not sure what kind.)
My wife and her sister (who is here a lot) wants to move all the stuff out of the 14G to the 29G then get more fish and more corals. They then plan to get Sea Horses for the 14G.
I'm not sure what I would like to do with it yet. I have however filled it with RO water, added the salt and put live sand in it.
Any ideas?

subielover

More live rock
just kidding. That is a helluva deal. Hope you have some strong lighting if you are keeping anemones though.

mboswell1982

im not sure if the idea of seahorses in the 14 will work, unless its maybe dwarfs, that would be a question you definitely need to ask down in the seahorse forums'
btw, nice deal on the cube

papajt

lol yeah, gonna pick up some live rock on Thursday or Friday most likely. As for the light, I have just the light that came with the 29G Bio Cube.
And yeah, Dwarf Sea Horses is the plan.
I would love to put a Porcupine Puffer in there but I know the tank is too small.

mboswell1982

i would definitely recommend upgrading the lighting if you plan on keeping the anemone, as the stock light for either 14 or 29g biocube is not enough light for a nem longterm

papajt

Ahh ok ty. I was looking at some, not sure if I plan to pick one up or not.
Does anyone have some links I could check out on different ways a tank can be cycled?

pixelfish

Nice buy man!! I cant wait to get back to the states to upgrade my tank size =) cant wait to see the progress

subielover

Originally Posted by PapaJT
http:///forum/post/2941401
Ahh ok ty. I was looking at some, not sure if I plan to pick one up or not.
Does anyone have some links I could check out on different ways a tank can be cycled?
Well, to keep the anemone, you will want to upgrade. If you don't plan on upgrading lighting, just return the anemone.
As for cycling, do a search

papajt

Help me figure out what to stock.
I think we are going to part ways with the anemone and gold strip maroon clown in our 14G BioCube. So what should we stock?
I like puffers, but don't think any would be "ok" for a 29G tank. What other active and interesting fish are there? Also if we did reef, what kind of corals and so forth could we look forward to keeping the setup with the default Bio Cube light?

subielover

In the Biocube you can keep softies and some lps as well. No sps, clams, or anemones. For fish there are lots of cool options. I think a shrimp goby/shrimp pair would be cool.

papajt

Let me toss in, looking for something to put in it that is hardy and on the lower side of time consuming scale.
Maybe a bunch of inverts and corals? I'm gonna mostly leave it up to you all if anyone wants to help us figure out a game plan.

genius172

what's up PapaJT...you can pretty much put zoanthids (polyps) mushrooms, xenia or some feather dusters. that's a great tank and such awesome deal...use the size to your advantage

papajt

Originally Posted by genius172
http:///forum/post/2941791
what's up PapaJT...you can pretty much put zoanthids (polyps) mushrooms, xenia or some feather dusters. that's a great tank and such awesome deal...use the size to your advantage

Yeah a LFS today told me that if I stock it with some hearty corals and a bunch of inverts, it will be cake to take care of.
So I'm pretty excited about that. I would like to put 1-2 fish in there. Something that will be fun and active, but have no clue on what options I have.

star27624

Look into gobies, fairy wrasses, and blennies. Some of these you have to be careful of with inverts and come might decide to nip at corals.